Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the lost art of downloading headers

[QUOTE=B18C5;3582024]
    Their pricing for the max tier is sort of crazy but, again, like boneless, that's worst case. The $24.99 platinum plan, with SSL and full retention is more than anyone needs. Not sure I download 50 gigs in a month so, I might even be able to make do with the Silver at $14.99 a month. I like how it's always there and it always works. I'm willing to pay extra for good service.
    I guess you just like throwing money away because Newshosting among others offers 50 gigs for 2/3 the price of giganews...it is $10 for 50GIGS

Giganews = Good enough service that they can demand whatever they want people to pay and people will pay = FAIL!
    Digital World...You can't handle the Digital World! What did your Mom buy you a PUTER for Christmas!
    http://usenetgeeks.com

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    well i can say something like you've said about giganews.

Highwinds= good enough speed, good price + terrible completion +DMCA takedowns=FAIL =)

i wouldnt keep HW account even pared with block account from blocknews..too many incompletes..
    i dont understand what has happened to them and how it all got to this and why they dont want to fill their huge gaps and i dont really care, to be honest.
    Fortunately there are better ones out there.
    The bottom line is: it is sad.
    We need more competitive providers..
    Last edited by Hypatia; 05-25-2011 at 10:12 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    guess you just like throwing money away because Newshosting among others offers 50 gigs for 2/3 the price of giganews...it is $10 for 50GIGS
    Is it throwing money away if I drive a Mustang instead of a Civic? They both have 4 wheels and will take you shopping but, the Mustang is probably nicer to drive. Even at $35 a month, that's a little more than $1 a day. If that means I save an hour of time in my monthly downloading because of completion or other weirdness with the cheaper server, it's already paid for itself. I realize that Usenet people are the cheapest people on earth so, that math might not fly for some. I have a job. $35 a month doesn't even factor in. I spend 2-5 times that on new video games every month.

I don't diss any news server. I'm glad they're there but, I have no problem paying for the best. I get my money's worth from Giga and that's all that matters to me.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    I would rather donate the extra $20 month to EFF (or Amnesty even) than to Giganoobs. Each to their own.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by B18C5 View Post
    guess you just like throwing money away because Newshosting among others offers 50 gigs for 2/3 the price of giganews...it is $10 for 50GIGS
    Is it throwing money away if I drive a Mustang instead of a Civic? They both have 4 wheels and will take you shopping but, the Mustang is probably nicer to drive
    Yes it is throwing money away, and a Mustang being nicer to drive than any car, well that's very subjective. For instance, I would say hell no it isn't. I had a lot more fun in my Civic then my buddy's old 5.0 could provide. Nowadays, I've moved on from the Civic to the Volvo C30 T5, still the nicest "drive" I've ever had

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    You're sort of missing the point... It's an, example not to be taken literally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIr1vEjqgY

This is my old civic chasing a GT3. Sold it to a buddy and bought a Subaru.
    Last edited by B18C5; 05-26-2011 at 01:07 PM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    newsgroupie
    There seems to be a widespread mis-perception that USPs will eventually need to stop spooling retention because the storage cost will become too expensive at some point. That was historically the case, but today, the exact opposite is now true.

The reason is that cost *per byte* of storage is decreasing at a greater rate than the total stored volume *in bytes* is increasing. (The "flipping point" was reached, I'd estimate, about a year to 18 months ago.) This means that the cost of storing usenet retention -going back to 15 August 2008- will be less and less each succeeding year.

So unless usenet posting volume were to unexpectedly increase (or hard drive development were to come to a screeching halt) then we can be quite certain that spooling will continue forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIr1vEjqgY

This is my old civic chasing a GT3. Sold it to a buddy and bought a Subaru.
    Nice race. At first I thought the GT3 driver just needed a lesson on how to power through a curve, but then it became obvious that the guy was taking turns as if driving a U-Haul truck. What a waste!

Quote Originally Posted by nntpjunkie View Post
    Has any body here used the news client Ozum?
    I try out just about every usenet client I learn about. What's your question about Ozum?

I have no problem paying for the best. I get my money's worth from Giga and that's all that matters to me.
    Anyone wanting "the best" absolutely needs to get an account from at least two separate NSPs. Block accounts are one way to go, but you can also buy an unlimited account at two different providers for less than the cost of one Giganews account, and (with a newsreader that supports fill-servers) get better completion and overall reliability than Giganews alone.

It was reported that Giganews went through a massive header failure a few months ago, and usenet search engines (like Newsleecher's "super" search) that relied entirely on Giganews for headers suffered greatly as a result. Newsleecher customers were complaining that it was taking far too long for Newsleecher Search to fill in missing headers caused by Giganews. I can understand the apparent love-affair between Newsbin Pro folks and Giganews. Newsbin should give Giganews a big kickback for driving so many frustrated Newsleecher customers their way.

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    Nice race. At first I thought the GT3 driver just needed a lesson on how to power through a curve, but then it became obvious that the guy was taking turns as if driving a U-Haul truck. What a waste!
    How much tracking do you do? The GT3's on street tires and I think did pretty well considering. The Civic is on R-comps, good R-comps. That's why he can close the distance in the corners. There's probably a 600 lb difference in weight too which is huge for tracking. That track is a great equalizer. It's so tight that the GT3 seldom has time to put down any power. On any other track, the GT3 would have been gone from view in a single lap. So, even though it makes twice the HP of the civic, it can't really use it. The Civic has a...B18C5... in it. Which I installed. It's a 1.8 liter 210 hp JDM Integra R motor.

I do have a couple accounts but, figured people would complain I was wasting my money again if I mentioned it....

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    The Civic has a...B18C5
    Oh nostalgia, I had the same motor in mine, naturally aspirated. What a really fun car that was...
    Also, to be on topic, I've tried both Giganews and Astraweb. As a single account user, AW makes me happier than my first and only month at Giganews, I'm especially happier that I'm not burning an extra $20 each month for really no reason at all.

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    There seems to be a widespread mis-perception that USPs will eventually need to stop spooling retention because the storage cost will become too expensive at some point. That was historically the case, but today, the exact opposite is now true.

The reason is that cost *per byte* of storage is decreasing at a greater rate than the total stored volume *in bytes* is increasing. (The "flipping point" was reached, I'd estimate, about a year to 18 months ago.) This means that the cost of storing usenet retention -going back to 15 August 2008- will be less and less each succeeding year.

So unless usenet posting volume were to unexpectedly increase (or hard drive development were to come to a screeching halt) then we can be quite certain that spooling will continue forever.
    Cost of storage isn't the only factor. The ower of Blocknews/Usenetnow made some interesting points when it comes to the possiblity of unlimited retention.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25842875-
    Last edited by Malcontent; 05-27-2011 at 04:47 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast