Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Use DropBox to Remotely Start Torrents with uTorrent

sputnik04

DropBox is of course an amazing utility. There are endless creative ways to use it to sync different things.

This tutorial simply focuses on torrenting & uTorrent.
    (The same exact principles apply to any torrent client)

1> Get a Free DropBox account. 2GB is free.
    2> In uTorrent: Options > Preferences > Directories

Select: Automatically Load .torrents from & navigate towards your DropBox folder.

You will also need to select where you want the torrents saved to. Select "Always Show Dialog on Manual Add" so you can choose where to save torrents to when you are home.

Also, you can select "Delete Loaded .torrents" to keep you DropBox neat and clean.

3> Download a torrent into your DropBox when you are away from home. (Note: This can be anywhere in your DropBox: does not need to be your public folder)

That's it!

So in a nutshell:

1.You are away from your home computer & want to DL something so it is ready for you when you get home, it's a new release and you want to start seeding, you found something you don't want to forget about, etc. etc.

2. You download a torrent & save it to your DropBox

3. Your home computer constantly scans the DropBox for added torrent files and instantly sees the torrent, adds to uTorrent, and starts downloading to your Default save location, then deletes the torrent file out of your DropBox.

4. Your torrent is waiting for you when you get home!

NOTES:
    Do NOT use DropBox as your save location for torrents.

You will likely ultimately want to move your torrents to a different location but you do need to pick a single folder location as there is no way to specify it after you add the .torrent file into you DropBox.

If you don't have DropBox installed onto the remote computer, you can save the torrent file and use the Web interface or put DropBox on a memory stick (DropBox portable).
    Last edited by Cabalo; 05-29-2011 at 02:06 AM. Reason: referral removed. DO NOT RE ADD IT.

2. The following users thank sputnik04 for this post:  
     (05-03-2015) , tesco (06-11-2011)
  3. Guides and Tutorials   -   #2
    cibu's Avatar I gots me a seedbox BT Rep: +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75
    I don't really get it , what does DropBox do ?
    Or ...what is it ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick.Ross @http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR2F9Km5d0w
    I’mma tell you something and don’t think that I’m weird/I eat leftover food that gets stuck in my beard

4. Guides and Tutorials   -   #3
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by cibu View Post
    I don't really get it , what does DropBox do ?
    Or ...what is it ?
    Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring all your photos, docs, and videos anywhere. This means that any file you save to your Dropbox will automatically save to all your computers, phones and even the Dropbox website. Dropbox also makes it super easy to share with others, whether you're a student or professional, parent or grandparent. Even if you accidentally spill a latte on your laptop, have no fear! You can relax knowing that Dropbox always has you covered, and none of your stuff will ever be lost. (quote from the dropbox website)

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. 2GB account is free!
    You can signup here: www.dropbox.com

Last edited by Cabalo; 05-30-2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Ahem, no referral links!
    Can you feel the LOVE

5. Guides and Tutorials   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Disme View Post
    2GB account is free!
    ...and extra storage capacity becomes available upon referring people with special links.

I don't see what all the Dropbox fuss is about. If I want to make a backup of something or have a file readily available on the "cloud", I'll upload it to a file hoster or drop it in a free Web hosting account.
    Last edited by anon; 05-30-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Typo
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

6. Guides and Tutorials   -   #5
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    2GB account is free!
    ...and extra storage capacity becomes available upon referring people with special links.
    You can't blame a guy for trying, no , at least it wasn't a phishing link or god forbid, a virus
    Can you feel the LOVE

7. Guides and Tutorials   -   #6
    A's Avatar ... BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    2GB account is free!

I don't see what all the Dropbox fuss is about. If I want to make a backup of something or have a file readily available on the "cloud", I'll upload it to a file hoster or drop it in a free Web hosting account.
    Dropbox makes it simple and flawless for the average joe. That's the attraction.

8. Guides and Tutorials   -   #7
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    It's already an application I can no longer live without. Too many advantages, too simple and really fast.

9. Guides and Tutorials   -   #8
    utorrent already has a built in remote tool that is simpler and better.

10. Guides and Tutorials   -   #9
    thanks @disme ! it was real simple to understand, actually what it is and what does it do

11. Guides and Tutorials   -   #10
    i really like this idea. this is a great tip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast