Thread: Quality Loss When Saving Many Vcd Files?

Poster
    Hey,

I'm a film editor...I capture my video into MPEG-1 format...So lets say I have an hour of unedited footage, I then edit it down to 25 or so minutes, and save that edited file with music, soundFX etc to a VCD...There is very little quality loss..Now if I were to take that edited VCD and edit it again, and saved it as another VCD without changing any settings, would there be any quality loss?

I had an edited file which was 90.5 Megs, but I noticed a spelling mistake in the title, so I took the edited film (I had deleted the saved copy of the Editing Suite Session) and inserted a new title over that one, I then saved it again with the same settings and it was 90.5 megs...Therefore they can't be any quality loss? When I've asked people to compare them they say they can't tell a difference, but I think I can notice Aliasing differences and a little more blurry quality...Or am I just imagining it? Is it not logical that it there would be any quality loss?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    BANNED
    As long as you're not re-encoding everytime you edit ..there wont be any quality loss.It'll be the same file with just the edits cut.

Just make show you're only cuting.

Tmpegenc is pretty good at editing:

Tmpegenc>file>mpeg tool>edit/merge.

Select add your file..double click ten choose the start/finish points.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Poster
    I use Premiere 6.5...I'm not sure if it's rencoding, but it takes 45 minutes to export a 10 minute film to VCD so, I'm assuming it is...Even though the settings are exactly the same for both VCDs, same bitrate, same FPS, same number of frames in total etc.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    BANNED
    Even though the settings are exactly the same for both VCDs, same bitrate, same FPS, same number of frames in total etc.
    Once you've converted the film mate to mpeg thats all the encoding finished.I dont use "prem",but you should'nt even have settings for bitrate,fps for editing.All your doing it deleting frames.Which should only take seconds,minutes.