Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: About my one diagnosis.

Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Early onset rheumatoid. Top that, TrOleg.

EDIT: By the way, serious thread, serious diagnosis, serious condition, serious forum. Make heartless jokes, and I will rip you to shreds. I have watched an aunt suffer from it till death, as well as my mom fight it for the better part of the past decade. So, yes, tread carefully if you're going to troll here, but I'm not idiotic to ask for solemnity. Jokes are welcome. I just thought people with actual conditions should post more about them.
    Last edited by Quarterquack; 06-09-2011 at 06:24 AM.
    Ellipses go here.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Oh not fair darth rings, you call it "about my one diagnosis" yet won't let anyone have any fun with it. Such a cock tease.

So, does it affect your ability to post, like how you never got back to me in the other thread and left me hanging for 3 weeks now?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    OlegL's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Rings View Post
    Early onset rheumatoid. Top that, TrOleg.

EDIT: By the way, serious thread, serious diagnosis, serious condition, serious forum. Make heartless jokes, and I will rip you to shreds. I have watched an aunt suffer from it till death, as well as my mom fight it for the better part of the past decade. So, yes, tread carefully if you're going to troll here, but I'm not idiotic to ask for solemnity. Jokes are welcome. I just thought people with actual conditions should post more about them.
    I never heard of this condition before, but I hope it's treatable. I mean, I hope there is a treatment available for it that is able to reduce the sufferings of the people affected by this condition. You said your condition is still in an early stage, so I really hope if you start fighting it now, it won't become a lot worse.
    Now, even though I sincerely wish you well, you do realize that I also posted about my diagnoses in the serious forum?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    So, does it affect your ability to post, like how you never got back to me in the other thread and left me hanging for 3 weeks now?
    I'm juggling four jobs (graphic designing for an upcoming game, helping wedding setups every weekend, TA'ing a physics course, co-administrating a little organization friends and I started last year) and a girlfriend. Life does tend up to catch up with me at the worst times. If I pissed you off, then all I can say is, I'm sorry, but there really was nothing stopping you from PM'ing me and saying "Hey, you prick, was replying to me here so hard?" I still don't know what thread you're talking about by the way, but at least by virtue of my drop in activity level recently you can appreciate that I wasn't going out of my way to ignore you specifically.

And you can make all the fun you want. Just make it tasteful. There's a difference between laughing about it and being insensitive/hurtful.

Quote Originally Posted by OlegL View Post
    I never heard of this condition before, but I hope it's treatable. I mean, I hope there is a treatment available for it that is able to reduce the sufferings of the people affected by this condition. You said your condition is still in an early stage, so I really hope if you start fighting it now, it won't become a lot worse.
    Now, even though I sincerely wish you well, you do realize that I also posted about my diagnoses in the serious forum?
    Treatment is available. I'm probably going to go through with it until the pain gets unbearable. Then I will off myself.
    Ellipses go here.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Rings View Post
    If I pissed you off, then all I can say is, I'm sorry, but there really was nothing stopping you from PM'ing me and saying "Hey, you prick, was replying to me here so hard?"
    No dude you didn't piss me off, you were asking for a favor and never responded with the details I asked for. I just missed an opportunity to be helpful is all. On the plus side, I avoided the extra work. A lot of the shit I do myself always have these pockets of 10-30 minutes of waiting around, which for the past several months I've kept that time filled by bullshitting making meaningful posts on this forum. I got put in charge of the peptide/mass spec facility for the summer, had to learn a lot and fix/troubleshoot instrumentation I was previously unfamiliar with (time vampire), but can't beat that kind of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by OlegL View Post
    I never heard of this condition before, but I hope it's treatable
    Seriously, you've never heard of rheumatoid arthritis, how closed off from the world are you? If you were 19 like I previously assumed, I would have let this slide, but you managed to make it to (29?) without so much as hearing about rheumatoid arthritis (among many other things as it would suggest)? Come on Oleg
    Last edited by mjmacky; 06-09-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: wrong 1-letter word

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    How is one actually diagnosed with early rheumatoid arthritis?I thought that symptoms were too akin to general arthritis and it was more or less a wait and see situation.
    Respect my lack of authority.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    How is one actually diagnosed with early rheumatoid arthritis?
    Like any disease, a set of symptoms are presented to a physician, and that's followed up with a series of medical tests until the physician is confident with a particular diagnosis

OK, kidding aside, general arthritis or osteoarthritis relates to the wear and tear of joints that lead to acute cases of pain. Rheumatoid arthritis is a very different monster when there is inflammation of the tissues around the joints, consequent of an auto-immune response. Given the nature of rheumatoid arthritis, it can affect all ages, whereas osteoarthritis is a condition typically experienced by the elderly and sports athletes.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    I got put in charge of the peptide/mass spec facility for the summer
    Oh I completely feel you. Last year on the off-season off competitions (I mainly just do iGem nowadays)/waiting for research funding I decided to pick up a job on my spare time. Worked for the local RCMP office. And did VNTR's. And then some VNTR's. And during my breaks? VN bloody TR's. It was the most horrifying experience of my life. Especially because I didn't want to lose focus and mess it up. So yeah, I did have those 90 minute wait periods randomly at the same time, and would do anything to get out of it. Mass specs on the other hand are a completely different ordeal. I hate those things. It's like after numbing your mind with the repetitiveness of loading the samples/making pastes, you have to suffer the kick start to the analysis, and it always phases me out for a good 5-10 minutes. At least whenever I work them I don't have to deal with protein spectra. Seriously, how can people even say yes to that idea?

How is one actually diagnosed with early rheumatoid arthritis?I thought that symptoms were too akin to general arthritis and it was more or less a wait and see situation.
    My hand swelled up to about twice its size, and changed colors from blue to red to extremely pale, and back to blue. Went to see the doc's and he diagnosed Raynaud's. Since I have a family history of Rheumatoid he decided to antibody test for it, on the extremely slim off-chance that I have secondary Raynaud's (at this point I want to point out the heritability is so low it cannot be proven, people my age group are hardly affected, and it usually strikes females - so what does that tell you about my lottery chances). I myself thought that it was a long shot, but worthwhile. Two positives.

Going for more tests in about a week to find out more, it may be something like Lupus after all ("It's never Lupus.") - family history and symptoms thus far hint at RA almost unequivocally - and to decide on treatment options.

Last edited by Quarterquack; 06-09-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Meh, the whistling smiley was messing up the tidiness of the lines. Put it at the end. =D
    Ellipses go here.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Sincerely sorry to hear of the news, Rings. I can't even come up with anything tasteless to say at the moment. Is there any chance we could simply transfer your disease to Oleg, it's not like he is actually doing anything with his life. What's one more diagnosis for him...
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    OlegL's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    it's not like he is actually doing anything with his life.
    You have a point. I so don't wanna do the college work, and my two INC (incomplete) grades already changed to FIN (F incomplete) grades. However, a week ago I called them and they told me there is still a chance I can stay on (or get off) the academic probation and avoid dismissal from the college if I convince my professors to let me finish the work that I am missing. Oh man, now almost the whole week passed and I didn't speak to the professors yet. However, tomorrow is Friday, so I will definitely force myself to go there tomorrow to speak with the people I need to speak with. But man, on one hand I want to be with normal people, but on the other hand, so don't wanna do the work...
    Anyway, Darth Rings, not sure what to tell you about your problem, but even if you experience a lot of pain, belief in God will help you.
    And mjmacky, you see, English is not my first language and I indeed never heard of the term "rheumatoid" before. However, in Russian, we have the word "rheumatitis", but I always thought it wasn't a serious condition. My father actually used some electronic machine to fight pain in his back and, as far as I remember, he mentioned he had rheumatitis, but he never talks about it now, so I guess he doesn't feel pain in his back anymore, but I'll call him today and ask him about it.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast