Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tweaks And Tips For Win Xp

If you want to know what you can disable at start-up.You go to Pacs-Portal. They will tell what safe to disable and what not.He is the site. http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    omfg... its not that big of deal.. you can always put things back in startup
    using msconfig

Add Tips for win xp here

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    nice tips .hack
    they are all overreacting. ive played with selective start up for years andit's a great way to speed up and diagnose your pc. so wat if you fuk it up, make a back up or just start from scratch. experience is the best teach......maybe you shoulda said that it can cause probs, but i still thinx it's a great tip. alot of people are unaware of regedit and selective start up and should be if they are going to play wit pc's. lata

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    stop files from going to "my recent documents"

Normally when you open or access a document or file it is added to the list of recent documents on the Start Menu. This tweak will stop files from being added to the list.

Open your registry and find the key below.

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value called 'NoRecentDocsHistory' set the value to equal '1' to enable the restriction.

Exit your registry, you may need to restart

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    A tip,

Go to My Computer icon on desktop, right click, and hit properties,
    Once System Properties pops up, go to Advanced tab.
    You can uncheck everything in that box, unless you’re using themes and Visual styles. Then leave Visual Styles checked.

I usually uncheck everything, but if you do want something, just leave it check, it’s fairly self-explanatory.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Originally posted by bob_the_alien@12 November 2003 - 23:42
    A tip,

You can uncheck everything in that box, unless you’re using themes and Visual styles. Then leave Visual Styles checked.

I usually uncheck everything, but if you do want something, just leave it check, it’s fairly self-explanatory.
    Which OS? Obviously not XP pro (home not sure).
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    If you really want to help out nOObs, why not just post the link to BlackViper&#39;s website?

If they are willing to spend some time they can not only learn what to do, but also WHY.

90% of these tips are from his site anyway.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Originally posted by I.am+13 November 2003 - 01:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (I.am @ 13 November 2003 - 01:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bob_the_alien@12 November 2003 - 23:42
    A tip,

You can uncheck everything in that box, unless you’re using themes and Visual styles.&nbsp; Then leave Visual Styles checked.

Which OS? Obviously not XP pro (home not sure). [/b][/quote]
    Yes, it works on XP Pro, that&#39;s what I&#39;m currently using, it also works on Home.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    i dont like messing with my system registry. The program mentioned on a different post...RegScrubXP is awesome. Good for dumbasses like me who dont like to fool around with stuff they dont know much about.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast