Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. Movies & TV   -   #242
    How does the show compare to the books?

3. Movies & TV   -   #243
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Zangaknight View Post
    Books fit on a moderate shelf better
    Colors are more present on show
    Show has voices and special effects
    More actors in the show
    Electronic shows (unless captured) tend to be gone when no longer broadcast
    Shows require cable/High-Speed Internet and electricity
    Books require visible lighting

Books require imagination; shows require tolerance of HBO scripting changes
    Tits. You get more tits with the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Movies & TV   -   #244
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Zangaknight View Post
    Because of budgetary constraints limiting the FX,on the TV show Dany is now referred to as "The mother of cats" and instead of people being burned alive they drown in hairballs.
    Also HBO didn't think that the audience would warm to a dwarf as one of the pivotal characters so on the series Tyrion is played by David Hasselhoff.
    Respect my lack of authority.

5. Movies & TV   -   #245
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. Movies & TV   -   #246
    Last edited by megabyteme; 06-26-2014 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Problem with not being able to save attachments on this site...

7. Movies & TV   -   #247
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Thank you for the above posts on GoT!

(I have all the audio books of GoT.... if I listened to the first one would I be safe to assume it would not ruin the HBO series so fat?)

(Btw,, "Mr Mercedes" by SK is very good too.)
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

8. Movies & TV   -   #248
    The ones read by Roy Dotrice? They're great. You can get away with reading all of ASoS, if you skip the epilogue.

A lot of the storyline in books 4 & 5 happen simultaneously so I'm currently listening to him read the two in this hybrid order (mild spoilers further down the page).

9. Movies & TV   -   #249
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    - Big ass picture -
    I feel like that "Whoever said history was boring" quote is pretty misleading and a poor comparison. Yes, there are parallels to major figures in history but unlike in Game of Thrones they weren't all occurring at the same time, they weren't in the same small piece of the world, and they weren't intricately intertwined with eachother like they are in the books. The books are clearly a dramatization of the events they (could've been) inspired from, and while it isn't to say that history is painfully boring, it isn't exactly that Game of Thrones has revealed "history" for the hip, awesome, cool grandmother that no one ever knew about or something.

On another note...

Spoiler: Show

10. Movies & TV   -   #250
    The takeaway I had from that, as someone who only watches the show, was GRRM had not entirely created this world of characters and events himself. I found it interesting from the perspective of someone who is currently a little better than half-way through a Master's degree in English (how did I ever get here?) how a writer could draw from a historical base without creating a history book.

Similarly, the show writers/producers are working from the books without creating an exact copy. Keeps it interesting to watch, doesn't it?

Readers of the book know of main events and characters in much the same way history buffs may know of events/bloodlines/battles without knowing what lies fully ahead. There's also the perspective of the actors who choose to not know their character's fate, as well as those of us either too illiterate/lazy/willing to wait for the shows to air to learn what direction the show will take the story.

Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728 ... LastLast