Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Download Managers for Windows XP?

Recommendations? (with reasons.)

Integrated with Firefox?

Do you use more than one (one for Fileserve, a different one for Youtube...)?

Thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    whatcdfan's Avatar A.W.A BT Rep: +2
    I have tried almost everything A complete list and I did not find anything as good as IDM ( http://internetdownloadmanager.com ). Also, the fact that most of the advanced users use only IDM.

Integrated with Firefox?
    FF has Support for third party plugins/Add-ons (unlike Chrome and Opera) , so everything that is meant to be integrated, gets integrated with FF, no issues with that. As far as IDM is concerned, it has a feature called "Advanced browser integration" which integrates it with the browser's network driver.

And a very unique feature of IDM is it's ability to resume downloads from the servers which either do not support resume or generate a new session ID for every download, IDM has the ability to check the links within itself to refresh the download link or to generate a new session ID to resume the downloads.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    IDM is one of the reasons i use windows , it's a great piece of software and it always max my speed

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    jDownloader. It can download practically anything, do segmented downloading, and "magically" resume some files as well. The downsize is that its Java-based, but that's not an issue if you've got enough RAM.

If you still need something light, FlashGet Mini worked pretty well for me. There's an unofficial English version on the Internet. I've also heard wonders about the aforementioned IDM, but never tried it myself.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    IDM its the best download manager...
    i cant download a file in other way.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    I used to cycle the download managers with Firefox, the one that I've stuck with out of the lot was DownThemAll

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    newsgroupie
    I've seen warnings about Flashget having non-optional spyware. (I don't know what the current situation is, but it never hurts to be vigilant.)

Free Download Manager (free and open source) used to be at the head of the pack, but development has stalled lately - and I don't think it's set up for DDL and video ripping. (I never used IDM, I should try it.)

Since you mention DDL file-hosting sites and video sites, the only downloader I have used that is made specifically for that usage is Jdownloader. The only thing I did not like about Jdownloader is that it's auto-update cannot be disabled.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    I would say the only reason I'm not using Jdownloader is I don't actually download videos from flash sites and I don't grab things from DDL sites all that often. So I guess the recommendation should depend on the intent of use.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    The only thing I did not like about Jdownloader is that it's auto-update cannot be disabled.
    Apparently, the hostname for the update servers follow a updateX.jdownloader.org naming convention where X is a number, so they could be blocked via hosts file or a firewall. But that'd probably stop any updating from working altogether.

The "mini" version of FlashGet I tried didn't have any malware, but I can't comment on the full one.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Downthemall has some bugs i think , it makes my system freeze sometimes for no reason . jdownloader is bloated , but it's very useful for those who don't have premium account to a fileserver

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast