Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's A Good Pc Joystick For Under 50 Bucks?

Hi guys an gals-

I'm looking to start playing games on this machine, and been shopping around for a joystick to use. Planning to use it for first-person shooter games, flight simulator, and prolly some racing games, and demolition derby style games.

I'm thinking about the Saitek Cyborg EVO since it's got a lot of features that look like they would come in handy (no pun intended) such as the twist control and the programable buttons. Anybody got any actual experience with one of these? That throttle control looks kinda in the way?

Anybody got any recommendations on good sticks that they have actually used? My main concerns are how well they work with the games, how easy are they to install (drivers and plug and pray), and compatiblility with win98se. Having enough buttons for programming stuff into is another secondary concern.
    I could also use some recommendations of sticks NOT to buy, since I dont wanna spend money on a piece of crap

Thanks!
    DW

2. Games   -   #2
    I havent been able to find a descent gamepad for pc. What you should buy is oen of those PSX to USB adapters and you can use your PSX gamepad on your PC

I have an adapter and i can plug 2 psx pads in the one usb port. Its compatible with ps2 pads too.

My adapter cost me around AU$60 but im sure you could find a cheaper one.

BWT thisadapter requires absolutely no drivers if your on windows XP and you wont have any problems with it.

3. Games   -   #3
    yep there is no better game pad than a PSX one, I have the same thing. I got mine for 7 dollars canadain. I could not live without if for new games. (most old games will not support the anolog controls, or the controller in many cases.)

Although for FPS I will take keyboard and mouse, but this is great for racing and sports games.

4. Games   -   #4
    Saitek P880 Dual Analog is the best and highest rated you can get for the money. i think i paid under $30

5. Games   -   #5
    Originally posted by neattairoski@11 November 2003 - 07:02
    I havent been able to find a descent gamepad for pc. What you should buy is oen of those PSX to USB adapters and you can use your PSX gamepad on your PC

I have an adapter and i can plug 2 psx pads in the one usb port. Its compatible with ps2 pads too.

My adapter cost me around AU$60 but im sure you could find a cheaper one.

BWT thisadapter requires absolutely no drivers if your on windows XP and you wont have any problems with it.
    Hey guys- I appreciate the responses so far. Gonna respond to them in the order that they've arrived.

would one of those adapters and a psx pad work on win98se tho? I dont plan to move to whistler (xp) anytime in the future, so I wanna make sure that it will work with the version that I'm running.
    Also...believe it or not...I dont have a playstation. Had an old ps1 a couple of years back, but sold it. Never bought another gamedeck after that. Havent really done much in the way of gaming in quite a while, except for some of the shit on yahoo.
    LOL and no, tisn't one of those "I got a life" kinda things....it's more like one of those "I got no MONEY kinda things".

okay, fill me in, why would it be better to play a first-person-shooter with the standard hardware? I've played Aliens vs Predator (a fps) on the mouse and keyboard, and even with programming the keys myself, it felt kinda awkward, and when I started getting up into the levels, I just couldnt respond fast enough. To somebody who's a mediocre typist, how would I be at an advantage if I were playing head to head with somebody else? (I really AM asking honestly, there isnt any sarcasm there....honestly, there ain't. Or in any of this post. Just honest curiosity.)

I'm definitely seeing a trend so far, of gampads vs joysticks. other than familiarity to the gamedecks, is there a reason? I can see how they would be easier to store, since they are smaller.

BTW- I'm NOT trying to be critical of what you guys are telling me. I really do appreciate the insights.

Thanks for the input so far guys/gals! I really appreciate it

-DW

6. Games   -   #6
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    i got a cyborg 2000 for £30 but it starts to develop a twitch after a bit

7. Games   -   #7
    Poster
    I agree that PSX controller is the best for PC , i have one of those, but i aswell have one of this wich rock too...

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=104594

You can map keyboard keys to the controller ANY KEYWORD KEY AND MOUSE BUTTON.. B)

8. Games   -   #8
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    you can plug a normal playstation pad almost straight into your pc. all you need is the drivers, (cant remember what they are) cotton buds, old fashioned printer lead and some sticky-back-plastic

9. Games   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by TheDave@11 November 2003 - 16:02
    you can plug a normal playstation pad almost straight into your pc. all you need is the drivers, (cant remember what they are) cotton buds, old fashioned printer lead and some sticky-back-plastic
    I have those drivers, i can send them to anyone that needs them... Just Pm

10. Games   -   #10
    Originally posted by darkewolf@11 November 2003 - 07:37
    would one of those adapters and a psx pad work on win98se tho?

Yes it will, better than on XP BTW.

okay, fill me in, why would it be better to play a first-person-shooter with the standard hardware? 
    In first person shooters there is just two many buttons that have to used for a gamepad to work right. crouch, stand, jump, reload,fir 1, fire 2, melee, it just dont work right. In my opinion. Aswell aiming, I cannot use the sticks to ai,k, and would take a mouse any day.

If you are really into first person shooters I would spend the money on a good mouse instead.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast