Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overclocked Sucessful!

lynx's Avatar .
    "If it aint broken it don't need fixin" - Does that apply to horses too?

Back on topic, I put a system together recently which at boot up started with minimum settings for clock settings, then implemented the bios settings at the end of the detection process. This allowed you to get into the bios setup and change settings without clearing everything down.

Only problem is I can't remember if it was the one with the XFX board that I put together for a friend or the Asus board i put together for my nephew.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Originally posted by clocker@12 November 2003 - 02:07
    How old do you think I am?
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Poster
    clocker, just for you (and maybe myself) i download pcmark 2002 and here are my results:

Overclocked:
    5396 CPU
    3603 Memory
    734 HDD

Stock:
    4898 CPU
    3281 Memory
    697 HDD

I quite happy with results, and the two test were ran under the same (well as close as i could get them) conditions.

and why did my hdd score improve

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Kunal@12 November 2003 - 10:42
    clocker, just for you (and maybe myself) i download pcmark 2002 and here are my results:

Overclocked:
    5396 CPU
    3603 Memory
    734 HDD

Stock:
    4898 CPU
    3281 Memory
    697 HDD

I quite happy with results, and the two test were ran under the same (well as close as i could get them) conditions.

and why did my hdd score improve&nbsp;
    Congratulations.

Have you adjusted your memory timing at all or is your increase solely due to upping the clock rate??

I don&#39;t know why the HDD scores vary. Mine do too from test to test, although the general range will stay pretty constant. I always run a quick defrag before a run, just in hopes that it will level out the playing field, but I really don&#39;t know that it matters.You will also note that although your HDD scores did go up, it was only by 30 some points, where your other two scores climbed by a couple of hundred points. I think that this is just slight variations from test to test. If your HDD score had risen by 100 points then I would really start to wonder...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Poster
    its all due to the increase in clock speed, aint adjusted memory timing.

clocker just as a quick comparison can you post your scores? (i know your systems much better than mine though)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Well since you&#39;ve indulged me, it only seems fair...

Edit:
    Now that you&#39;ve done the easy part, go for the memory timing. It will take much more time and patience, but why stop halfway?

Find your memory timings in BIOS and start from one end to the other. Pick one number and lower it one step. Save to BIOS and boot. If you can boot, go back and lower it one more step. Repeat until you can&#39;t POST, then clear your CMOS and reset everything to the last good number. Repeat with the next three. After you&#39;ve gotten to the lowest numbers that don&#39;t crash your system run the memory test again. If you&#39;ve gotten a good result then go ahead and run a burn in test to demonstrate your system stability. Keep an eye on temps of course.
    Then....
    Just to be sure, go back to BIOS and loosen all the numbers by one step and then rerun the memory test. You might be surprised.
    Although I could POST and boot with the timing set at 5,2,2,2.5t, my memory score was considerably better running at 6,3,3,2.5t. Go figure.
    I don&#39;t know enough about it to explain this result, but the numbers were repeatable, so I trust them. Perhaps an expert can explain this- and if anyone knows of an easier way to do this whole process, I&#39;d love to hear it...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Poster
    man clocker your scores are ace, well i did ask for it didnt i

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    The deal here Kunal is not to compare your scores to mine, but rather your pretweak score to your post tweak score.

I&#39;m sure that there are many rigs on the board that can kick my ass, but at least I know that my setup is as good as I can make it ( given my current level of knowledge...) and that&#39;s about as good as you can hope for. Everything else is just a question of cubic dollars. More money= more performance.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    lynx's Avatar .
    When you increased your fsb speed you have also increased your memory speed and your pci speed.

The increased memory speed is directly shown in the increased memory throughput.
    The increased pci speed only has an effect on the transfer of data to the ide controller but not on data transfer from that point on, so the effect is reduced.

It may be possible to change these clocks separately, depending on your bios. If so, you may be able to increase the speed of various parts of your system independently of the others. For instance you may be able to increase processor speed to a point where other subsystems (eg pic) would have become unstable.

Clocker, the reason why &#39;slower&#39; clock timings can be more productive is this: in burst mode, if the memory chip misses the clock strobe, it has to terminate the current transfer. This then means that a new transfer has to be set up to complete the original data request. If the memory subsystem is running beyond it&#39;s designated settings, this is more likely to occur and results in reduced data rates.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    That makes sense ( even to me&#33, lynx.

Thanks.

Do you know of a better way to approach memory timing tweaking than the painful and awkward method that I used? Maybe you could save Kunal some grief...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast