Thread: What Uses +12v

Poster
    I was just checking out my Asus Probe, and it has my power/temp/fan rpm listings everything looks fine except, it says that +12v is running at 11.3v.

Asus Probe does not says this is bad but if it gets down to 11v then it would be considered as a problem, but i believe this is a problem cause all of the other voltage listings run with atleast .4v higher than its recommended voltage.

so my question is what uses this 12v supply?

Is it possible to increase the voltage so that it would run at 12+volts instead of below the recommended 12volts?

And btw the 12v supply seems to flutuate between 11.6 - 11.2 and all the other voltages never flutuate, thats y im worried about it.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Money Fist's Avatar Che-Che get the yayo
    most of the motorised components in your PC use 12v
    HDD motor
    FDD motor

3.3v for electrical bits
    like the bus speed

Its good that your voltage level is just below
    the 12v mark

If it is past by about 20% you could come across trouble

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Is it normal for it to be below 12v?

Because i made my computer and i dont know that much about them, and i bourth a fan with a light in it and put it in my comp, and i dont think its made to have fans with lights because its got a soild case(cant c the light anytway) would this cause a loss of .5volts from my 12volt supply??

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    A drop in the 12v supply is often the first sign that you are overloading your power supply. I would have expected other voltages to be affected too, but it is possible that it is just this voltage which is suffering at the moment. Without full system specs (including exact PS specs) it is impossible to give a definite answer, but it is extremely unlikely that your new fan has made this difference.

If your fan is like mine (Akasa 842), you can simply remove the band from round the outside, trace the wires back from the lights, cut them off and remove them. But they are simply small leds and won't be taking a significant current. Akasa supply these HSF without the leds anyway, but my supplier doesn't stock them.

As long as the voltage is fairly steady, I wouldn't worry too much, but if any voltages start droppiing then it's time to go looking for a new PS.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    What wattage is your power supply ?

When you first turn on your PC do you hear the fans lag for a second and then come up to speed?

11.3v seems pretty low to me.
    My 12v reading is 12.6 (+/- a bit).

If you just built your comp did your PSU come with the case?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg