Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Industry Buries Study Results That Pirates Buy More DVDs Than Average

The movie and music industry have been trying to portray file sharers as criminal pirates and parasites who steal billions of dollars from the industry in lost sales. In order to strengthen their argument, the MPAA and RIAA commissioned a number of studies that would investigate the negative effects pirates cause to their sales. Ironically, the studies proved the exact opposite, and they had to shut up about it while repeating their usual accusations.

The whistle was blown by an unnamed GFK employee who told German website, Telepolis, a study conducted by GFK on behalf of the movie industry found that pirates typically download illegal copies of movies to try-before-they-buy. The study also found that pirates buy more legit DVDs than the average user and they visit the movie theater more, especially for opening weekend releases which typically cost more to attend.

The study concluded that movie pirates are more interested in movies and that they spend more money on movies than most people, making them the industry’s best customers.

Unfortunately, the unnamed client who commissioned the study decided against it getting published. Not very surprisingly, the reason given for canning the study was that its findings are “unpleasant.”

It is worth noting that an unrelated independent research conducted earlier this year has found that anime piracy and streaming in Japan increased DVD sales.

Source:http://www.megagames.com/news/movie-...e-dvds-average

2. Lounge   -   #2
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Than average what?
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

3. Lounge   -   #3
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    human being?

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    Than average what?
    If you read the article you'd know the answer to that

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by duke0102 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    Than average what?
    If you read the article you'd know the answer to that
    I did read the article. Still begs to question why the journalist blogger didn't finish the comparison.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

6. Lounge   -   #6
    What's there to finish? It's more of a statement than a comparison due to the anonymous source and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to find figures to add to this.
    I felt this would be interesting for people to read and I even left a link to the source article so people won't think I'm trying to claim I wrote this.
    Picking apart this post won't change the statements given and I feel most people will get the general point.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    What needs to be done is a unbiased, professional study. Not some pirate claiming because he bought 1 film of iTunes last week means that all pirates do it.

One fact is; If I steal someone's intellectual property via network like Usenet, I'm not in any way contributing to a sale. Stealing is still stealing no matter how you twist it.

One tax I would be willing to pay is a piracy tax. Sometimes I feel for those indie ass holes trying to make it big.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    What needs to be done is a unbiased, professional study. Not some pirate claiming because he bought 1 film of iTunes last week means that all pirates do it.

One fact is; If I steal someone's intellectual property via network like Usenet, I'm not in any way contributing to a sale. Stealing is still stealing no matter how you twist it.

One tax I would be willing to pay is a piracy tax. Sometimes I feel for those indie ass holes trying to make it big.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    IF the source is true then all good because GFK is a large market research company and Telepolis seems to be a German news and comparison site.
    I felt I could relate to this article some what as I do buy almost everything I play/watch and really enjoy. I'm also not here to say piracy is OK and I'm not going to go on about possible legal and moral grounds on that subject.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Quote Originally Posted by duke0102 View Post
    IF the source is true then all good because GFK is a large market research company and Telepolis seems to be a German news and comparison site.
    I felt I could relate to this article some what as I do buy almost everything I play/watch and really enjoy. I'm also not here to say piracy is OK and I'm not going to go on about possible legal and moral grounds on that subject.
    Obviously I haven't read any of the above. However, I'd just like to angle in the real issue here. That being, why are you such a stupid cunt, mate?

Take your time. I wouldn't want you rush into anything.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast