Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super (2010)

Frankthetank1's Avatar Über User BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Anyone watch this movie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1512235/

I literally could not stop laughing from start to Finnish. Ellen Page was a riot. She kind of reminded me of the joker from Batman, the original. She just has one of those laughs.
    “Just because you’re miserable doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy your life.”

DO NOT RANDOMLY PM ME ASKING FOR INVITES!

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Subverting of the superhero mythos without a least some attempt (a la Watchmen) to encompass larger issues sort of negates the whole point .Also odd as it may be I find it impossible to laugh at brutal violence. There must be something genuinely wrong with me.

Anyway it's like KickAss if KickAss was a dangerous psychopath , the violence taken to even more brutal extremes and minus even the hint of a positive outcome.So basically Defendor.

I think I should post that as a review on IMDB "basically Defendor minus the charm".
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +4
    Don`t will huge difference between this movie and KickAss

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Frankthetank1's Avatar Über User BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    So you are saying you didnt like it? Batman had a dangerous psychopath and everyone loved that.. Imdb reviews are terrible so it would really help. but since it got a 7.2 on IMDB and a terrible rating on rotten tomatoes it doesn't help my justification at all . I guess i have a warped sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Subverting of the superhero mythos without a least some attempt (a la Watchmen) to encompass larger issues sort of negates the whole point .Also odd as it may be I find it impossible to laugh at brutal violence. There must be something genuinely wrong with me.

Anyway it's like KickAss if KickAss was a dangerous psychopath , the violence taken to even more brutal extremes and minus even the hint of a positive outcome.So basically Defendor.

I think I should post that as a review on IMDB "basically Defendor minus the charm".
    what are you trying to say?
    Quote Originally Posted by propanol View Post
    Don`t will huge difference between this movie and KickAss
    Last edited by Frankthetank1; 07-26-2011 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankthetank1 View Post
    So you are saying you didnt like it? Batman had a dangerous psychopath and everyone loved that.. Imdb reviews are terrible so it would really help. but since it got a 7.2 on IMDB and a terrible rating on rotten tomatoes it doesn't help my justification at all . I guess i have a warped sense of humor.
    I was just telling you what I thought of the movie.Your opinion is as valid as mine or anyone else's. Who's to say that your're not right and Super is for most people a true laugh riot.

About Batman though I would say that the essential difference between him and Red Bolt is that Batman is not living entirely in a fantasy of his own creating .He may set his own rules but the villains he fights are ( in his universe) real and the causes he undertakes just.

Actually I would be interested in what you thought of Defendor which in some ways is a lot closer to Super than KickAss is.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 07-26-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    I kind of liked this movie. It had that Kickass "why hasn't anybody tried to be a superhero" theme, but not its rational reserve. I think it answers the question posed by Kickass with, "well you have to be really fucking delusional and psychopathic".

Otherwise, I thought the point of it was that religion is idiotic and Dolan should stop buying Cadillacs.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 07-26-2011 at 06:32 PM.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    It has been a while since I watched Defendor but if I remember correctly, it was decent up until the end which was done poorly and made no sense. I love Woody but it was the plot that was bad. Again it’s been awhile since I watched it. What did you think of green hornet? Which is also very similar to these movies.

Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I was just telling you what I thought of the movie.Your opinion is as valid as mine or anyone else's. Who's to say that your're not right and Super is for most people a true laugh riot.

About Batman though I would say that the essential difference between him and Red Bolt is that Batman is not living entirely in a fantasy of his own creating .He may set his own rules but the villains he fights are ( in his universe) real and the causes he undertakes just.

Actually I would be interested in what you thought of Defendor which in some ways is a lot closer to Super than KickAss is.
    Last edited by Frankthetank1; 07-27-2011 at 12:08 AM.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    It has been a while since I watched Defendor but if I remember correctly, it was decent up until the end which was done poorly and made no sense. I love Woody but it was the plot that was bad. Again it’s been awhile since I watched it. What did you think of green hornet?
    I haven't seen it and I probably never will as ,and I'm not making this up , I find Cameron Diaz to hideous to watch.Paint her face white and she's basically the Joker.That is if the Joker lacked any discernible entertainment value.
    Actually I will probably never watch a Cameron Diaz movie again unless one sets a record for Oscar wins or it also contains a babe of such epic ,Godly beauty that the good and bad sort of work to cancel each other out.

cameron-diaz-green-hornet-4-450x655.jpg

Also of note this picture was take at The Green Hornet premiere when unassumingly she has had her hair done and the services of a professional makeup artist.If my mind was actually capable of withstanding the trauma I could only imagine what she normally looks like.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    i agree she got old real fast, but she plays a small part in the movie. You never gave your thoughts on Defendor though.

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    i agree she got old real fast, but she plays a small part in the movie. You never gave your thoughts on Defendor though.
    Sort of in line with what you said.I wouldn't go so far as to say that the ending made no sense but Defendor was one of those movies that never made up it's mind what it wanted to be - a comedy, a drama , a message movie, an ultimately depressing look at how society chews up and spits out ( save the ending) anyone the least bit different.

Personally I think given the inherent likeability and decency of the Harrelson's character they should have kept it lighter. It's not that I minded
    Spoiler: Show
    Probably it was intended to be that way but not something
    Spoiler: Show
    I'd choose to voluntarily witness.

So I guess what I'm saying is that although I didn't hate the picture if I was in charge it would have had a far different tone to it.

Anyway all this loonie as hero stuff got me remembering They Might Be Giants haven't seen it in like forever but I (think) I remember liking it a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast