Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard Drive Problems, Wrong Size Reported

lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Benno+12 November 2003 - 20:27--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Benno @ 12 November 2003 - 20:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@11 November 2003 - 23:24
    You also need to remember that Win98 only recognises drives up to 32GB, there is a jumper you can set to limit the drive to this size.

I have win98se and a 80gig Seagate which runs fine

is it that win98 just recognises up to 32gig but win98se also bigger ones? [/b][/quote]
    Sorry, I&#39;ll explain.
    Firstly, lets use a common sizing scheme - the disc manufacturers one. This means that 32GB (microsoft) = 34GB (Manufacturers).

Win98 won&#39;t handle partitions greater than 34GB (that&#39;s a limitation of the Fat32 file system), but you can have multiple partitions, and Win98SE will handle these quite successfully, but I&#39;m not sure about the original Win98. I&#39;ve had bad experiences with this, but I&#39;ve since put this down to Partition Magic.

Unfortunately the version of fdisk which comes with Win98 (any version) DOESN&#39;T correctly recognise disks larger than 34GB. I believe it will show a 40GB drive as being about 6GB in size. I&#39;m told that you can physically type in the figures you want and it works, but I&#39;ve never tried it myself. The alternative is to set up the partitions using a different partition manager, or with a boot disk from WinME.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    ok I have 2 partitions whereof one is 65GB and one 10GB and I never had any problems with it

Im not sure with what programm i partitioned it as its quiet a long time ago allready but it think it was discwizard from seagate

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12