Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 100 Monkeys

Originally posted by Billy_Dean@12 November 2003 - 02:56
    That's a good point Hobbes, how did we communicate before we learned to talk?

"Talking" implies physical proximity to allow communication with sound, visual cues, and emotional intonation (happy, sad, fearful).

The article posted implies "projecting" a behavior via minds united under said behavior beyond physical proximity.

I can understand salmon returning to their place of birth by swimming upstream from the ocean being related to a sense of smell which is beyond our capacity. In such a case there is a subtle but real continuity between the target and the source. We all have learned that information is transmitted in many forms which our senses are not able to perceive. But in this case, there is no such continuity between the source and target (more of a leap) and in addition, instead of transmitting a scent, these apes are felt to be transmitting ideas/opinions in some sort of "mind" language. A bit far fetched to me.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Poster
    Have you ever had a wife, Or brother, or even a close friend.... Your standing in a crowd, or on a bus, or at a gathering.... Someone say's something and you and your fo begin to laugh at the same time.... You both had the same thought, or conscious belief. Pretty freaky shit!!!

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    BANNED
    Saturday April 10th 1971, 11.50pm. I am in my lounge with my wife and a friend and his wife. I get up to do something, suddenly I get a severe pain across the top of my chest, and the back of my head near my neck. The pain is so intense I fall to the floor screaming. This lasts for maybe 10 seconds, then nothing, no pain, nothing.
    The following day I am at my parents house, there is a knock on the door, it's the police informing us that my younger brother was killed in an accident the night before.

From the coroners court we hear .. Christopher ******* died at 11.50 pm April 10th from severe lacerations to the upper chest and back of the skull. He died instantly.

How did I get that pain from miles away?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@12 November 2003 - 03:27
    Saturday April 10th 1971, 11.50pm.  I am in my lounge with my wife and a friend and his wife.  I get up to do something, suddenly I get a severe pain across the top of my chest, and the back of my head near my neck.  The pain is so intense I fall to the floor screaming.  This lasts for maybe 10 seconds, then nothing, no pain, nothing.
    The following day I am at my parents house, there is a knock on the door, it's the police informing us that my younger brother was killed in an accident the night before.

From the coroners court we hear ..  Christopher ******* died at 11.50 pm April 10th from severe lacerations to the upper chest and back of the skull. He died instantly.

How did I get that pain from miles away?

Such events are an abberation, sometimes a simple muscle spasm can be reinterpreted as a premonition with the proper data.

Your point is valid, that there may be communication between humans/animals which is as yet poorly understood, but I still hold my reservations. I've lost loved ones and I had no clue until the phone call.

I am not the type to try and trivialize/rationalize something which has been a very important occurance in your life, I am just speaking about monkeys.

Anyway, sorry about that.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Poster
    Where you twin's BD?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    BANNED
    No Tim, I'm 8 years older, he was 15, I was 23.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@12 November 2003 - 02:55
    No Tim, I'm 8 years older, he was 15, I was 23.

Sorry to hear about that mate!!! In 1986 I was out partying with friend's, I borrowed my old man's car, got a little to pissed and slept in the car for the night.
    I woke up in a panic for some reason, tried to start the car to go home, the car would'nt start. ( I had'nt left light's on or anything like that ) I waved down a guy going to work and he gave me a boost, car started and went about 20 feet then died. The guy saw me in his rear view came and came back. I think this happened twice. Finally the car ran long enough to get me home. When I got there, why I don't know ( especially with the car not running properly ) I drove into town. On my way back I saw my brother, I pulled over, he got out of his car, as he approached me, I blurted out " Mom's dead isn't she " He replied Yep!!!

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by hobbes+12 November 2003 - 01:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes @ 12 November 2003 - 01:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Rat Faced@12 November 2003 - 01:20

Most "Scientists", in their own ways, are as close minded as any religious fanatic....
    There is no data to support such a sweeping statement. Your hypothesis is untenable. Case closed.

[/b][/quote]
    No data?

Yep...and the Earth is flat, you cant travel more than 60mph without dying, heavier than air flight is impossible, you cant split the atom.......do i have to go on?

Look at &#39;em all, fighting over which theory is correct in just about every subject. Once they have decided upon one, they will fight tooth and nail to keep that, despite any opposing evidence.

The original thinkers that move science, and hence civilization, on....are 1 in a hundred.

The rest are good enough to improve your hair gel, but not cure your dandruff.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@12 November 2003 - 08:54

The original thinkers that move science, and hence civilization, on....are 1 in a hundred.

So lets get 100 original thinkers, put them together on an island, then we could all be geniuses

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    I think your being a bit harsh on scientists RF,
    maybe, but the idiots who retard science by attempting to publish pure crap are two a penny. Scepticism is important for science, otherwise we would be permanently investigating nonsense. A couple of the underlying principles in science are that any experiment can be repeated with similar results, and that a hypothesis fits the data of one experiment and makes verifiable predictions for further experiments. A major problem with theories regarding psychic powers is that the evidence is usually just anecdotal, any experiments that try and pin it down fail or are unrepeatable.
    This Sheldrake bloke doesn&#39;t seem to be accepted by his peers, to me thats a bad sign, it may just be because the conclusions he draws are too way out for conventional thinking, but imo it more likely means his experiments are not conducted scientifically and so any results and conclusions are unusable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast