Thread: Having trouble ripping audio from Disk images.

whatcdfan's Avatar A.W.A BT Rep: +2
    Hay

I requested some albums on an Egyptian forum while I accused them of not being quality conscious, so they, instead of uploading any lossless formats, sent me disk images [bin+.cue] to rip the audio myself in whatever quality I like.

I have opened the disk images With deamon tools in a virtual drive but I was unable to rip audio from them, EAC gives an error, I checked the attributes and the files are marked as "read only" and I am unable to change the attributes, also I checked the properties with Win explorer, it's also not reading the discs.

The disc's are Ok, I was able to encode individual tracks without any errors but I need to rip 'em with EAC to have a log file without which I won't be able to upload the albums anywhere.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    What if the BIN has errors? EAC won't be able to fix that.

I thought ripping from an image, just like doing it from a CD-R, isn't a good idea...
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    whatcdfan's Avatar A.W.A BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    What if the BIN has errors? EAC won't be able to fix that.

I thought ripping from an image, just like doing it from a CD-R, isn't a good idea...
    BIN doesn't have any errors, I was able to encode FLAC's out of it without any problem and every note sounds perfect.

Why ripping from image is not a good idea, please explain.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    Why ripping from image is not a good idea, please explain.
    I'm not entirely sure of it, hence the "I thought". But as I said before, if the BIN has even just one error, common sense turns it into a bad idea.

If the image is a flawless reproduction of the disc, in theory you should probably achieve optimum results in EAC, but I'm not an expert on this.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."