Thread: Sony asks gamers to sign new terms or face PSN ban ... is this real?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14948701

Looks like its time to sell my ps3. Already sold my 360 because I refuse to pay for live

2. Games   -   #2
    teflon05's Avatar Pessimistic Optimist BT Rep: +2
    It doesn't have anything to do with paying for on line services. It's about lawsuits:

The new clauses, dubbed "Binding Individual Arbitration," state that "any Dispute Resolution Proceedings, whether in arbitration or court, will be conducted only on an individual basis and not in a class or representative action or as a named or unnamed member in a class, consolidated, representative or private attorney general action".

Gamers will now have to try to resolve any legal issues with an arbitrator picked by Sony, before being able to file a lawsuit.

Those that want to opt out will have to send a letter to Sony's Los Angeles headquarters in the US.
    Once they do, the subscribers will be able to keep their right to file a class action lawsuit without any need for arbitration.
    But before subscribers have a chance to opt out, they will still be required to agree to the new terms the next time they log into their accounts.
    Otherwise they will not be able to use the online services.
    No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. — P.J. O'Rourke

Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. — Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)

3. Games   -   #3
    I know but I was meaning that I got rid of my 360 because of a live fee and now I want to get rid of my ps3 because of this. Its not that I would ever sue them but this is their way of completely diverting responsibility from themselves. They can say well we did the best we could and can't help that we were hacked when they do stuff like not encrypting personal info. I'm sure that has changed but again it gives them a free pass to not be motivated in fixing security issues.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon05 View Post
    It doesn't have anything to do with paying for on line services. It's about lawsuits:

Last edited by Sporkk; 09-16-2011 at 09:34 PM.

4. Games   -   #4
    Frankthetank1's Avatar Über User BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    i think you need to get over yourself..

Quote Originally Posted by jedispork View Post
    I know but I was meaning that I got rid of my 360 because of a live fee and now I want to get rid of my ps3 because of this. Its not that I would ever sue them but this is their way of completely diverting responsibility from themselves. They can say well we did the best we could and can't help that we were hacked when they do stuff like not encrypting personal info. I'm sure that has changed but again it gives them a free pass to not be motivated in fixing security issues.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon05 View Post

“Just because you’re miserable doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy your life.”

DO NOT RANDOMLY PM ME ASKING FOR INVITES!

5. Games   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankthetank1 View Post
    Maybe

I guess no one is any wiser after having their private info ripped from a negligent company. The fine print matters.

Edit: Maybe I do over react about certain things. I don't think I will get rid of my ps3 but I certainly won't allow them or microsoft to keep a cc on file. The point cards are the way to go.
    Last edited by Sporkk; 09-17-2011 at 04:36 AM.

6. Games   -   #6
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    i'm glad my console of choice is the PC. lol, 2day's consoles.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

7. Games   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    i'm glad my console of choice is the PC. lol, 2day's consoles.
    me too! I'm a huge fan of steam and actually I think they all have similar polices in place.

8. Games   -   #8
    teflon05's Avatar Pessimistic Optimist BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by jedispork View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankthetank1 View Post
    Maybe

I guess no one is any wiser after having their private info ripped from a negligent company. The fine print matters.

Edit: Maybe I do over react about certain things. I don't think I will get rid of my ps3 but I certainly won't allow them or microsoft to keep a cc on file. The point cards are the way to go.
    I don't think he was aiming that at you...He has a problem with me...Not that I care. Just another troll among thousands
    Last edited by teflon05; 09-17-2011 at 12:22 PM.
    No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. — P.J. O'Rourke

Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. — Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)