Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: File sharing alternatives ... what are they?

I was just curious as to what the various file sharing alternatives were currently. I am also concerned about privacy. I came up with the following list of FS methods with their associated benefits and risks. I was hoping someone could help myself (and possibly others) understand the benefits/risks of the methods they might consider to share content.

Method/benefit/downside/risk

USENET

Very fast downloads, almost complete privacy/limited availability of content/almost no risk

Bit-torrent

A lot of available content with fellow user feedback on quality of dl/dls can be fast or slow (slower than UN)/Inherent risk of being identified as your IP is being shared with the rest of the world

FS site such as Hotfiles, etc.

A lot of available content/dl limits unless you become a "premium member"/I would really like to know the risks of using these types of sites

Please add other methods here and correct my perceptions above.

I was just wondering if there is something better out there ...

Thanks all.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Off the top of my head, BT, Usenet, DC hubs, IRC, Gnutella, DDL, FXP boards, FTP topsites and/or dumps, Slsk, I2P, probably like a hundred other proprietary protocols similar to Gnutella, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok View Post
    Off the top of my head, BT, Usenet, DC hubs, IRC, Gnutella, DDL, FXP boards, FTP topsites and/or dumps, Slsk, I2P, probably like a hundred other proprietary protocols similar to Gnutella, etc.
    OK ... but what about the risks inherent with using each of these methods?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    The least risk comes from anything that is S2P instead of P2P. So DDL links, IRC, and Usenet. Then anything swarm based with the possibility for anonymity, so something like BT, I2P, or whatever else. Finally, the most risk is direct P2P transfer, which is stuff like DC hubs, Slsk, Gnutella, etc, because if you download from or upload to an anti-P2P spook, they can more easily ID you.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    but don't you have to pay for usenet...=downside.?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    No, you don't have to pay for usenet, all the answers to that question can be found on this board.
    Last edited by Cabalo; 09-18-2011 at 08:53 PM.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by filedud View Post
    FS site such as Hotfiles, etc.

A lot of available content/dl limits unless you become a "premium member"/I would really like to know the risks of using these types of sites
    The only risk I can think of is the file hoster logging IPs and then handing them to the cops. But that's not very frequent, and even so uploaders would take more risk than downloaders.

Quote Originally Posted by esco123 View Post
    but don't you have to pay for usenet...=downside.?
    I've been using Usenet quite a bit ever since I found out about Binload, a free server with good speeds and retention but which forces you to use their proprietary client. Read through this subforum a bit and you'll know how to use it on your favorite one, however. (I use SABnzbd)
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Pointing out that like DDL, free usenet and paid usenet don't offer the same pros.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    You could get into the scene... join a group.... get access to Topsites. You wont need bittorrent or p2p at all.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    If it was that easy, everyone would be leeching from topsites.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast