Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a OS for my old laptop

Frankthetank1's Avatar Über User BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I have a Toshiba Satellite A215-S7437 Notebook. I tried windows 7 ultimate It was a little slow and sometimes it would just freeze and id have to restart.
    Onyx Blue
    AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58 1.9 GHz
    Dual-Core
    Yes
    1600 MHz Bus Speed
    AMD M690V
    L2 cache
    1 MB
    2 GB (1 GB x 2) / 4 GB (max)
    DDR II SDRAM
    PC2-5300
    200 GB, 4200 rpm Hard Drive
    DVD-SuperMulti drive (+/-R double layer) with Labelflash supporting up to 11 fomats
    Card Reader
    Secure Digital, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Multi Media Card, xD Picture Card
    15.4" TFT active matrix
    1280 x 800 (WXGA)
    Yes
    TruBrite
    Last edited by Frankthetank1; 09-23-2011 at 03:10 AM.
    “Just because you’re miserable doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy your life.”

DO NOT RANDOMLY PM ME ASKING FOR INVITES!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    I'm typing this on a Satellite C675 running Win 7 HE x64, it has a 1 GHz dual core, it runs without slowdowns or incidents. I basically have an oversized netbook, so I couldn't recommend any other version of Windows myself. Maybe you had some software issues?
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Frankthetank1's Avatar Über User BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    It was given to me by my uncle it had a hard drive failure so i replaced it and installed windows 7 ultimate maybe ill try and see if home edition is more suitable.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    A friend of mine made a custom Windows 7 with the mostly useless stuff removed. If you want to check it out, send me a PM. It comes in x86 and x64 flavors, so that's not a problem.

It's what I'm using in my laptop as we speak. It works fine and fast, and the specs are way lower than what's on the first post.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    As others have said, the specs on your laptop aren't that bad, a dual-core CPU running @1.9Ghz with 2GB of DDR2 RAM, is way more than the minimum spec for Windows 7. The system requirements are a 1Ghz processor with 1GB of RAM for the X86 version or 2GB for X64. Given the age and the laptop, it was originally designed to work with Windows Vista,so would not be capable of being retrograded to Windows XP (the chipset isn't supported by XP). Since Vista is a dog with fleas, the only realistic choices are Windows 7 or a Linux Distro.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    What do you think of Microsoft.Windows.Thin.PC.x86-LuLZiSO ? it's 1.32 Gigs & windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    A friend of mine made a custom Windows 7 with the mostly useless stuff removed. If you want to check it out, send me a PM. It comes in x86 and x64 flavors, so that's not a problem.

It's what I'm using in my laptop as we speak. It works fine and fast, and the specs are way lower than what's on the first post.
    Last edited by Frankthetank1; 09-24-2011 at 11:25 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I have to mention the obvious latest Ubuntu.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankthetank1 View Post
    What do you think of Microsoft.Windows.Thin.PC.x86-LuLZiSO ? it's 1.32 Gigs & windows
    I've had that in my download folder for a while but never got around trying it, so I can't say anything. Apparently, it's Microsoft's own approach to a "lite" Windows 7, just like WinFLP and XP. If you want to try it out, check what features are missing first.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    A slimmed down modified version as people have mentioned might be good for you - XP is an option too if you are using the computer for basic stuff that a high-tech OS won't do you good. But quite honestly, I have a laptop with similar specs that runs Win 7 ultimate just fine so you should be able to as well and if you decide on Win 7 then you can always turn off the eye candy for better performance.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Votkrath View Post
    A slimmed down modified version as people have mentioned might be good for you - XP is an option too if you are using the computer for basic stuff that a high-tech OS won't do you good. But quite honestly, I have a laptop with similar specs that runs Win 7 ultimate just fine so you should be able to as well and if you decide on Win 7 then you can always turn off the eye candy for better performance.
    I know your new, but if you are going to post in the help sections it pays to read the previous posts first. As I mentioned in my previous post the motherboard chipset is not supported by Windows XP, you cannot retrograde this laptop back that far. It was designed for Vista and came supplied with Windows Vista Home Premium. Vista (bad idea) Windows 7 or a Linux Distro are the only realistic choices.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast