Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigatribe + Torrent Idea

I will be living on campus soon but have an idea for getting around the campus firewall. I need to know if this would keep me out of trouble.

I considered syncing the utorrent download folder with gigatribe at my house. There, if I needed something, my brother could download a torrent. The torrent download would automatically appear in a gigatribe profile I set up at the house. I could then download the torrent download directly from this gigatribe profile.

Right now, all my torrent downloads are automatically synced with gigatribe so that any peer in my network could download any of my torrent downloads.

What do you think? Would my plan keep me out of trouble? If not, is there another way to discretely download torrents on campus, as in torrents from sites like the Pirate Bay?

Thanks for any help.

P.S--I'm also considering locating the torrent downloads directory in a dropbox folder. I already know dropbox syncs files on the campus.
    Last edited by zKfgzT9K8apb; 09-27-2011 at 05:56 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    Torrent them to your house, ftp to campus?
    DO NOT PM me 4 invites thanks

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by That1Guy View Post
    Torrent them to your house, ftp to campus?
    Exactly. My brother would open the torrent file and the computer would do the rest.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    I dont see why that would be a problem. You could always remote desktop in to download the torrent. I've just seen to many stories that start with "my brother did....." that it seems like voluntarily giving your brother access may not be the smartest thing to do.
    DO NOT PM me 4 invites thanks

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by That1Guy View Post
    I dont see why that would be a problem. You could always remote desktop in to download the torrent. I've just seen to many stories that start with "my brother did....." that it seems like voluntarily giving your brother access may not be the smartest thing to do.
    How could I do that? I've never used a remote desktop.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I'm just wondering if your password here is something like NewGuy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Night0wl View Post
    Nope, I only use random passwords and usernames.

If I understood how to do what I wanted, I wouldn't be here.

Anyway, thanks That1Guy for help. I'm moving onto another thread.
    Last edited by zKfgzT9K8apb; 09-27-2011 at 03:34 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Firstly, do you know what their policy on torrents and the like is? It does happen that while some universities "officially" forbid downloading, in practice they're rather lenient. In that case, you could cut the middleman and get your torrents directly. Just don't clog the connection all the time because 1. you could still get kicked, and 2. it's a shared resource other people need.

Otherwise, if you're going the Dropbox route, I second That1Guy's suggestion of using a remote desktop program instead of asking your brother to sync your torrents. Radmin and RemotelyAnywhere are the best two I've tried - the former is fast (and my favorite), but the latter can be controlled using just a Web browser in case you can't install the Radmin client for whatever reason. The only disadvantage I see in this route is that your home computer would need to remain running at all times.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Firstly, do you know what their policy on torrents and the like is? It does happen that while some universities "officially" forbid downloading, in practice they're rather lenient. In that case, you could cut the middleman and get your torrents directly. Just don't clog the connection all the time because 1. you could still get kicked, and 2. it's a shared resource other people need.

Otherwise, if you're going the Dropbox route, I second That1Guy's suggestion of using a remote desktop program instead of asking your brother to sync your torrents. Radmin and RemotelyAnywhere are the best two I've tried - the former is fast (and my favorite), but the latter can be controlled using just a Web browser in case you can't install the Radmin client for whatever reason. The only disadvantage I see in this route is that your home computer would need to remain running at all times.
    Thanks man! I'm pretty sure the university prohibits torrenting; the IT department specifically stated that their fiewall would catch any torrenting. I'm considering using UltraVNC, which is described here: http://lifehacker.com/5080121/five-b...-desktop-tools

I'll probably combine dropbox with remote desktop for flexibility. I have dropbox now but could create a separate account on the house computer for my privacy.

I thought this thread died, but I was wrong.
    Last edited by zKfgzT9K8apb; 09-27-2011 at 05:55 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by zKfgzT9K8apb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Night0wl View Post
    Nope, I only use random passwords and usernames.

If I understood how to do what I wanted, I wouldn't be here.

Anyway, thanks That1Guy for help. I'm moving onto another thread.
    Just for the record I wasn't implying your question was stupid. I was implying that your nickname looked like a random password.

Anyway you should look into others having same thoughts on campus and maybe sharing between each other using flashdrives, external harddrives or even WLAN connections, thus keeping everyones filesharing bandwidth at a minimum. Best way to keep under the radar. Also use encryption even when FTP'ing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast