Thread: Speed problems with newsbin pro and astraweb

Hey everyone. I am not the greatest with newsgroups but i have always been able to get everything i needed downloaded at a decent speed. I recently upgraded to a wndr4500 router and 50mb/s internet with cox communications. However i have only been able to achieve speeds up to 6 mbs. That seems odd to me. I cant understand it. I have opened the ports on my router and have tried everything from 1-20 connections. Can anyone suggest some measures i might take in order to improve my speeds?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    That would depend on what happens between 1 & 20 connections. If you seem to max out no matter how many connections, that would make it seem like your ISP is doing a bit of intervention on your connection. Any difference between standard and SSL connections?
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    there is no difference between my standard and ssl connections. I called my ISP and after requesting to speak to 3 supervisors i was assured that i am not being throttled. I am wondering if perhaps it may actually be my computer limiting my speeds. I have a 5 year old computer with 4gb ram a very slow amd turion processor. (dont worry a new high powered comp is in the mail) Is it possible that it is my comp slowing me down?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Or check your client for set limits. I'm not familiar with newsbin pro.

Edit: sorry about the turion processor, that could be a culprit. Perhaps monitor your processor usage, I'm assuming a single core. Text is being coded back to binary, so your processor is involved in the download.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 10-06-2011 at 03:23 AM.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    I have checked every possible option i could on newsbin pro. I am operating at full speed according to the client. We will see what happens when i get the new computer. GO I7!

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    newsgroupie
    It might be just pure coincidence, but I've got to wonder if you might be confusing bits with bytes ....

Your 50 megabit internet connection will (theoretically) download at 6.25 megabytes/second -- which is almost exactly the number you report getting.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    It might be just pure coincidence, but I've got to wonder if you might be confusing bits with bytes ....

Your 50 megabit internet connection will (theoretically) download at 6.25 megabytes/second -- which is almost exactly the number you report getting.
    Just to add on that.

You see both numbers in the lower left corner: Mine is 101.2 Mbps/12.6MBps

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    newsgroupie
    ... another tidbit ...

Compressed headers download at close to 8x the speed of uncompressed headers, generating numbers which could be confused with the 8:1 ratio of bits to bytes.