Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need to buy a new motherboard ASAP - help wanted

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    I don't know about the need to spend $80 on a PSU (unless of course you have a highly overclocked PC) as there are some pretty decent ones available for half that price. I know a lot of builders will disagree, but I've never had any problems using fairly cheap, relatively low-wattage PSUs. But then I'm not a speed demon either.
    Right, that was only my suggestion. I used to be on the $40-$60 boat until I ran through about 3 PSUs in a month and found that they were all garbage (making me think I had a motherboard problem). It was when I finally borrowed the multimeter from my lab that I discovered I've been buying crappy replacement PSUs (the first one had blown caps). Eventually I wised up and dished out a little more cash (about $100) and I haven't had problems since, all of my other hardware remaining the same. Of course this could be completely dependent on the manufacturer and not necessarily the price. Corsair treats me well, stay away from Ultra.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    The disabled kid has a point
    If you say something like that, there's a strong chance he'll just remove all these posts.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 10-07-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    To be more specific regarding the PSU, the devices you have had problems with are all on the 5 volt rail, so test a spare molex (the older white 4pin connectors for IDE devices) connector and checking the positive and negative connectors with a multimeter, while the other drives are connected, will give you a definitive idea of the voltage output on the 5v rail.

If you could post your PSU make & model it would help too Skiz.
    Last edited by Artemis; 10-07-2011 at 08:13 PM.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Aw fuck it; I'm just gonna build something new I guess.

New PSU, new mobo, new CPU, new memory.

Gonna start a new thread.

EDIT - New thread here.
    Last edited by Skiz; 10-07-2011 at 10:32 PM.

yo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12