Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avatar: The Legend of Korra (so far)

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    I don't know if you've heard, but I love me the fuck out of some Avatar: The Last Airbender. If you haven't watched that series, please consider it my most family friendly recommendation, even if you have no family and live alone skinning cats in your cellar. Well apparently I was really excited about this new continuation series when I heard the news about a year ago. Strange, but I had forgotten about that, and I leered at this one as if it was an attempt to milk the franchise. Naturally, my teats waiting to be drained, I gave the first 2 episodes a shot. I had a little boost in confidence once I saw that some of the same writers were involved.

My first worry, how will they devise a main plot conflict? I mean, he already saved the world, was it all pointless, will the new conflict feel forced? As of the second episode it hasn't been fully declassified, but it hints at the inequality between benders and normal folk and an organization of people completely fed up with it. This seems an all too natural conflict, so sugar needed for this medicine. There also appears to exist the simple technology that would prevent bending (which requires uninhibited movement) in a combat situation. So there's promise there too.

It takes place 70 years in the future, the only one alive from the original cast is Katara, who is a little old lady now. One of my favorites from the original series is Iroh, however, no replacement seems to have even reared his/her head. The only time I ever teared up in the original series involved a scene with Iroh, I mean, there was some talented writing involved.

They seemed to have introduced an element of a competitive sport. This seemed a bit of pandering to me, but they managed a way to cheaply link it to the development of the main character, Korra, so I'm only slightly less annoyed.

Conclusion? Still too early to tell, I'll keep watching though. In the end, I understand this is a Nickelodeon series, which is off-putting. It was the reason I ignored the original series for a few years. Definitely give the original a viewing if you haven't already, and if you're already a fan of it, this one is worth your own investigation. Would love to hear your thoughts if any.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Since none of you like wholesome programming, I'll give you something you perverts

avagay.png

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I'd rather watch Castle than this shite.
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I'd rather watch Castle than this shite.
    dolph-lundgren-as-drago-will-crush-you.png

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    So, I had only 2 nose pinches in episode 3 ("we are orphans", and when he said he watched his parents killed in front of him I yelled out, "I'm batman". Come on, seriously?), but other than that I'm pretty satisfied with where this is going. Apparently a bunch of people have gone to the school of Ty Lee, and it was a pretty fucking cool fight scene.

Last edited by mjmacky; 04-23-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: ah fuck video went down

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Video removed ^.
    So what, this is a Japanese cartoon possibly with English subs, right?

I'm not sure how you expect this to appeal to non-weaboos.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    Video removed ^.
    So what, this is a Japanese cartoon possibly with English subs, right?

I'm not sure how you expect this to appeal to non-weaboos.
    I'm currently working on it, I can't get around YT's content blockers, even when I removed the sound. Encoding to VP8 with slight degradation in quality and mirroring the image to see if that'll work.

Speaking of which, item #2 on this page
    http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...anime&aid=4552

OK, I am trying Vimeo, see if that works (have to wait for it to be processed). If it doesn't then fuck all.

I degraded the video so poorly (from 60 MB to 4 MB @ 1280x720) and it still got picked up by content id match. That's a pretty broad fucking filter.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 04-23-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Oh, I feel quite embarrassed now. You've gone to all this trouble and I was only trying to view to see if it was some anime shite or not.
    I would never have watched more than a couple of seconds of it.

Just an idea but maybe you could introduce a couple of 13 year old girls to the forum who might then mirror your interest in the matter
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    So Vimeo works, YT content ID catches the clip even if the image is mirrored and been encoded with a different codec. That's a pretty vigorous content ID system. How is that not completing raping their servers?! Does this have anything to do with why YT gets fucking slow as balls all the time?

backwards.png

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    Oh, I feel quite embarrassed now. You've gone to all this trouble and I was only trying to view to see if it was some anime shite or not.
    I would never have watched more than a couple of seconds of it.

Just an idea but maybe you could introduce a couple of 13 year old girls to the forum who might then mirror your interest in the matter
    I was driven by my own challenge, Mary vs. YT. They won, the fucks. Oh, and I view your refusal of the series the same way we view squeam's refusal of BSG. Well, maybe I can't speak for you, but snitty is what I feel. That's snooty + pity. Saying pooty would sound kinda gay.

Edit: I feel like an idiot not having used this series as an in with 13 year old girls. I know what my costume will be next Halloween. I haven't done a costume in years.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 04-23-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast