Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next Drive Capacity Advance Coming...

Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Consistency is a virtue, Ross.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrD
    True, but even if one drive fails, you won't know which one. So you have to back up 5tb anyway.
    Why wouldn't you know which drive failed?
    When the drive fails, you'd know which one. The point I was trying to make is, you can't predict which drive is going to fail (until it has), so you have to back them all up anyway. 1 x 5TB or 5 x 1TB still needs 5TB backup space.
    So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.
    - Sun Tzu

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    You are right.

I've begun contemplating my new build and during the process, examined my storage drives ( I have a 1TB and a 1.5TB drive installed and 3 1TB drives that I access through an external dock).
    I realized that most of the "data" is only valuable to me because I "have" it, not because I ever use it (for instance, when will I ever sit down and watch every episode of The West Wing?), so getting all atizzy about safeguarding it is more a theoretical exercise than a real concern.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    You are right.

I've begun contemplating my new build and during the process, examined my storage drives ( I have a 1TB and a 1.5TB drive installed and 3 1TB drives that I access through an external dock).
    I realized that most of the "data" is only valuable to me because I "have" it, not because I ever use it (for instance, when will I ever sit down and watch every episode of The West Wing?), so getting all atizzy about safeguarding it is more a theoretical exercise than a real concern.
    I totally agree. You can re-download your media collection that you want to keep/watch again. No need to back them up. I use a 1TB external hard drive to store files I need to keep, plus I have the most important on DVD's and on-line storage. The rest is disposable in my honest opinion.
    So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.
    - Sun Tzu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12