Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pedro's BTMusic Ban Amnesty

psxcite's Avatar Pimpilicious Penguin
    It can be subjective and difficult to qualify to most people. Using the same video analogy, some would same letterbox isn't that big of a difference versus say 4:3/pan-and-scan. You still get most of the picture, but you know that in some scenes you may lose some important visuals. And if it's a good movie pan-and-scan won't exactly ruin it. Same with audio. Did you really need to hear that hi-hat to enjoy the song? Maybe not. But you will hear a considerable difference when using your iPod with headphones versus playing the same song in lossless format through your Driverack and a JBL line array.

Crank up a mp3 in your car stereo vs. the original CD. Watch how quickly the sound distorts. You will hear a big difference immediately in the low end. As to if they are good or not, well I can tell you a good mix can make or break a song. How many times have you seen a movie with decent actors and a great plot, but the director or the editing ruined the film?
    "Dude, where's my rar?"

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by psxcite View Post
    Undecipherable techno-babble

How many times have you seen a movie with decent actors and a great plot, but the director or the editing ruined the film?
    Give or take around about exactly zero.

The script of a movie are the legs on which it stands.Without a good director it suffers but like a zombie it still manages to shuffle forward.

Albeit spastically.
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Well in your analogy the good director is flaclib and the not so great one is LAME. LAME is that fucking idiot, who singlehanded took a perfectly good book and stripped some (to you very important bits) not so important stuff to lessen the budget, so he could hire the most popular actors to play the main roles.
    Last edited by Night0wl; 11-01-2011 at 07:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Night0wl View Post
    Well in your analogy the good director is flaclib and the not so great one is LAME. LAME is that fucking idiot, who singlehanded took a perfectly good book and stripped some (to you very important bits) not so important stuff to lessen the budget, so he could hire the most popular actors to play the main roles.
    EXACTLY.

Give or take around about exactly zero.
    Well, if you ask any movie critic or anyone in the film industry, they would tend to disagree. There are countless films with GREAT scripts ruined by poor editing and direction. You can play devil's advocate all day, but I'm sure I've made my point.
    "Dude, where's my rar?"

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by P2PDog View Post
    I had a large library of music, but it was of wildly varying quality and different formats, some if it was excellent, but some of it was low-bitrate crap
    This is my current system. I could fix all of it, I'm sure, if I joined a music tracker and replaced the crap... but I just don't care enough for music to do that. My hearing clarity is kind of shite too, forcing me into endless repetition of these statments: "what?", "huh?", and "sorry I didn't catch that", all the time during conversations. I never listen to music at home, and the mp3s/aacs get loaded onto a USB stick that plugs into a connection in my car. The worst sounding file I have is "Ghetto Superstar", which I don't care for all that much, but never had the desire to seek it out and delete it (the ire of Rogers & Parton notwithstanding).

So I guess I'm clearly soliciting an invite to only the best music tracker out there, with no ratio requirements, and I can hit and run and let the account remain inactive for months at a time.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    EXACTLY.

You understood that? I thought he had just taken some bad acid or was channeling Fellini or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by psxcite;3623868
    Give or take around about exactly zero.[/QUOTE

Well, if you ask any movie critic or anyone in the film industry, they would tend to disagree. There are countless films with GREAT scripts ruined by poor editing and direction. You can play devil's advocate all day, but I'm sure I've made my point.
    Alrighty then but I asked myself and he says that he disagrees. Oh course then again what the fuck does he know?
    Oh and he also wants me to ask you to name one "great script" that was "ruined " by poor editing and/or direction and then he will gladly shut the fuck up.(Sorry for the profanity, industry people are like that).

PS undermined isn't the same as ruined and very few directors have complete control over the final cut.

Btw if it's any consolation I have seen countless movies where the best efforts of cast and crew couldn't salvage a bad script though.

Also is Devil's Advocate synonymous with "voice of reason"?
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 11-02-2011 at 12:07 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    A quick Google search will provide you with quite a few.

http://tinyurl.com/3exxra9

http://www.quora.com/What-films-with...ing-acting-etc

I tend to agree. No amount of great acting, editing or direction can fix a bad script.

From Harold Ramis, "I became a director because I was tired of seeing my scripts ruined by other directors."

But maybe I'm wrong, I'm just a sound guy.
    "Dude, where's my rar?"

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Oh and he also wants me to ask you to name one "great script" that was "ruined " by poor editing and/or direction and then he will gladly shut the fuck up.(Sorry for the profanity, industry people are like that).
    That's not difficult. Name me any (good) book adapted into a movie in these past two decades, and I'll show you what you seek.
    Ellipses go here.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    A quick Google search will provide you with quite a few.

http://tinyurl.com/3exxra9

http://www.quora.com/What-films-with...ing-acting-etc
    I bothered to read everything on those links and except for one person ( a film editor) having a bias against a certain syle I failed to see one instance of direction or editing ruining a film.Directors and studio execs on the other hand being inclined as they are to demagoguery like to think they know better than the person who created the work how the story should go and so do painfully unnecessary rewrites.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Rings View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    That's not difficult. Name me any (good) book adapted into a movie in these past two decades, and I'll show you what you seek.
    No that is usually the script writer's fault Einsteen.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    Very true. And least we not forget the producers, who think they know it all. Everyone wants to please them since they pay the bills. Many a film project has been ruined by a producer's "input". Just hire the right people and get the hell out of the way.

There was a great montage during the Oscar's which explained the importance of good editing. They even showed two clips from a film (same scene) with different edits and how one enhanced the story while the other left you in limbo.
    Last edited by psxcite; 11-02-2011 at 03:40 AM.
    "Dude, where's my rar?"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234