Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Usenet safety

I've trawled the interwebs for an answer to this but there never seems to be a 'yes or no' answer....here's hoping you can help,

So i've been torrenting for a good few years now and think it's time to turn to Usenet (lol this is partly owing to the sense of trepidation I get whenever TorrentFreak is loading - it's all bad news!).

Anyway, I wanted to know the difference between an uploaders safety and downloaders safety (I'll be downloading FAR more than I upload - if I upload anything at all, that is).

It always seems that whenever I get close to an answer from viewing forum posts, someone always comes in at the last minute contradicting what's been previously said. I could really do with a bit of clarity on this one.

Thanks in advance, zootman

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zootman View Post
    I've trawled the interwebs for an answer to this but there never seems to be a 'yes or no' answer....here's hoping you can help,

So i've been torrenting for a good few years now and think it's time to turn to Usenet (lol this is partly owing to the sense of trepidation I get whenever TorrentFreak is loading - it's all bad news!).

Anyway, I wanted to know the difference between an uploaders safety and downloaders safety (I'll be downloading FAR more than I upload - if I upload anything at all, that is).

It always seems that whenever I get close to an answer from viewing forum posts, someone always comes in at the last minute contradicting what's been previously said. I could really do with a bit of clarity on this one.

Thanks in advance, zootman
    Torrents you download/upload at the same time. The uploading of content is where they get ya. When you are just downloading, you probably won't get burnt and if they did they could only get ya for that one count so it is not worth it from their point of view. Adding to that the fact that it would be near impossible to find out what you are doing without someone snooping/spying on your connection to begin with if you just download. Yea your ISP can know but they aren't going to spend the time, money, and resources watching every subscriber on their network. And even if they did, you could always hide what you are downloading with SSL, which nearly every Usenet provider offers.

Most Usenet providers don't keep records of downloads. They do for uploads though for spam purposes but there are ways to upload anonymously.
    Who needs cloud storage when you got the NSA?

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    You can download to your hearts content worry free, no records will be kept of that. The amount of space for the logs would be too much.

From what I see other people posting around here saying is that sometimes usenet accounts will get closed for getting too many DMCA complaints on their uploads, so the provider will disable posting or close the account (depending on the provider). I use an NL usenet provider for my posting, they don't seem to care about dmca complaints.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    JustDOSE's Avatar look at my meatwad
    I'll make this as easy to understand as possible. I know coming from p2p your brain is kinda mushy right now.

Usenet has SSL, p2p (aka noob-land) doesn't

Nuff said
    Last edited by JustDOSE; 10-30-2011 at 01:27 AM.
    Pimpn aint easy ®

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDOSE View Post
    I'll make this as easy to understand as possible. I know coming from p2p your brain is kinda mushy right now.

Nuff said

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by zootman View Post
    So i've been torrenting for a good few years now and think it's time to turn to Usenet
    I assume that the question is specifically about about uploading (posting) files on Usenet (not about Bittorrent seeding) .....

All usenet providers can trace posts back to the poster (potentially forever) using their message ID logs, so posting is definitely not anonymous. But for whatever reasons, usenet posters have not *YET* been targeted by the copyright cops. That situation could easily change.

Usenet has SSL, p2p doesn't
    There are many P2Ps that use SSL or other encryption protocol, which anyway only prevents packet sniffing by 3rd parties but does not make a user anonymous in the least. To provide true anonymity requires hiding a person's actual IP address, a function completely unrelated to SSL encryption.
    Last edited by zot; 10-30-2011 at 06:55 AM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7

Nuff said
    now thats what im talking about
    heck usenet also got VPN (depending on your usenet provider)

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    JustDOSE's Avatar look at my meatwad
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjd2001 View Post
    now thats what im talking about
    yar, and most of the time the files are named xdv29r3e3r.r01
    unlike p2p where all the files are obviously named 'IF_YOUR_LOOKING_ITS_SO_OBVIOUS_IM_STEALING_SOMETHING.DVDrip.AXXO.XVID.2013.avi'

Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    There are many P2Ps that use SSL or other encryption protocol, which anyway only prevents packet sniffing by 3rd parties but does not make a user anonymous in the least. To provide true anonymity requires hiding a person's actual IP address, a function completely unrelated to SSL encryption.
    im sure you can find all your releases on that private network with full download speeds, NOT;

and usenet users normally dont need more then SSL
    because we arent calling attention to ourselves by uploading massive amounts of data

Last edited by JustDOSE; 10-30-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Pimpn aint easy ®

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    he would be a fool to use VPN service from these usenet providers like giganews. especially for p2p downloading\uploading
    we already discussed that and learned how they serve and protect copyright international mafia ring
    If you want VPn then choose among those preferably based in Sweden that dont do that kind of shite

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    Moral of story: wanna get caught eventually, use P2P. Wanna download to your hearts content in safety, use Usenet. I wouldn't even use DDL because the baddies could bait you into downloading something and log your IP address.
    Who needs cloud storage when you got the NSA?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast