Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What Can I Do?

BANNED
    I have one blowing and two sucking. The blowing one runs across my hard drives. My case is cool as.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+13 November 2003 - 03:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power &#064; 13 November 2003 - 03:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@13 November 2003 - 03:00
    Solid CO2 (dry ice) has surely got to be the next step in cooling. Ok, you&#39;d have to top it up now and again, but the big advantage is that the machine to create the dry ice could be in a separate room (or even building) so the noise is generates would be unimportant.

If you filtered the air going into the dry ice box so that it was dehumidified, there would be no condensation, I feel certain you could get away with only one fan (not counting the cpu HSF) and it probably would not need to run all that fast. A simple bit of ducting could vent the CO2 outside.

This seems a far better idea than water cooling, since CO2 is non-conductive. In any case, the actual CO2 would not need to pass through the machine, it could simply be used as a cooling agent for normal air.
    yea, i heard about that. so other than paying &#036;13 for an adapter, can i put the fan in my pc withouth cutting holes? [/b][/quote]
    Where did you here about this, abu?

I just made it up for a laugh, it&#39;s not a practical solution.

Edit: typo
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by clocker+13 November 2003 - 05:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker &#064; 13 November 2003 - 05:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@12 November 2003 - 18:52

Btw, having one fan blow air into your case and another fan blowing air out is extremely inefficient. It is much more sensible to have two fans performing the same operation (both in or both out) as long as there are no major obstructions to airflow. And since PS fans always take air out of the case, it is sensible to add extra exhaust fans.
    Lynx, you do realize that this advice goes completely counter to what one might read on any number of modding sites?

They are always stressing the balance between the amount of air that you bring in and the amount that you exhaust.

I have been very skeptical of this as a major concern since it seems to assume that a case is fairly airtight, which we all know is hardly true.

Anyway, tomorrow I plan on trying out your theory. Should be interesting. [/b][/quote]
    Your case doesn&#39;t need to be airtight, the amount of leakage around the joints will be negligible, and doesn&#39;t matter as long as you aren&#39;t drawing exhaust air back into the case. The other main consideration (as I know you are aware) is to make sure that there aren&#39;t any major obstructions to airflow.

With an inlet fan and an exhaust fan, you have effectively arranged the fans in series, so although you will have cut down air resistance, you are really only moving the same air twice. By having two exhaust fans you have increased air resistance, but you could in theory be moving almost twice as much air.

If you don&#39;t need to move twice the volume of air, you can reduce the speed of your fans, thereby reducing air resistance again, but more importantly reducing noise at the same time. The one thing you do lose is some of the ability to direct the air where you want it, but this is where VB&#39;s case modding comes into play. Vanes and ducts could also help, I suppose.

Edit: I found this info at the papst website, and they make the quietest fans in the world.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    can anyone say duct tape???

it can probably help you if you are truly desperate to find a way to get a 120 to work without an adapter...

BTW i don&#39;t know if it is any cheaper but this web site may help you in your quest for fans/cooling stuff...
    I have purchased from here, some of thier stuff is overpriced, but most of it is ok, they are good poeple though...

and to be more specific here are the adaptors if you need them...
    Ducts and adaptors here

Hope it helps&#33;&#33; B)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Poster
    Originally posted by SciManAl@13 November 2003 - 16:00
    can anyone say duct tape???
    its duck/ cloth tape isnt it

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    No, Duct tape is correct.

Originally used by heating and ventilation guys to seal the joints in....let&#39;s all say it together....air ducts&#33;

Now tomorrow class, we shall work on the correct pronunciation of nuclear.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    hehehehehe

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Originally posted by lynx@13 November 2003 - 08:10

Where did you here about this, abu?

I just made it up for a laugh, it&#39;s not a practical solution.

Practical, no.

Has it been done, yes.

I have read of this actually being done, I believe it was some Finnish nutcases who put it up on the web. The dry ice only lasted about 5-10 minutes, but while it lasted they were getting ridiculous temps and overclock speeds.

Winter must drive them crazy up there.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Wasn&#39;t that the group that also had a radiater for a completly submerged system in a thing a liqaud nitrogen??? they were getting negative temps, although i think they could just have one of there radiaters left in a bucket of water... (i think their climate was freezing, but mayby not)...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@12 November 2003 - 23:16
    I thought I just went though that same idea with you, clocker.

You very well may have, VBod.

I am not a blonde, but I play one on TV....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast