Quote Originally Posted by Proper Bo View Post
    Nah, my ma was just a cunt.
    biffa_bacon_203_203x152.gif
    are ye cahllin wor mutha a puff?

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

5. Lounge   -   #105
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    The only thing I remember getting in my stocking is a little bit of money. I haven't done proper Christmas in years, I threw it out with Christianity.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

6. Lounge   -   #106
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    I don't know if I can be arsed with Christmas this year tbh. I'm asking for cash so I can buy a 5th of a new front door that the council is forcing me to buy.

Yay Jesus.

7. Lounge   -   #107
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Explain council, I'm intrigued by this concept. If it could potentially inflame me, dismiss the inquiry with a flippant remark.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

8. Lounge   -   #108
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    I don't know if I can be arsed with Christmas this year tbh. I'm asking for cash so I can buy a 5th of a new front door that the council is forcing me to buy.

Yay Jesus.
    You have that in Englandshire? I thought it was a Scottish thing.

MJ If the owners can't agree on the upkeep of the shared element of the property, as a last resort the council (local government) will send someone to do it and, knowing the owners are over the proverbial barrel, the workman will shaft until they squeal like a pig. Usually the sight of a council clipboard is enough to bring people to their senses and get stuff fixed themselves at a sensible price.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

9. Lounge   -   #109
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Explain council, I'm intrigued by this concept. If it could potentially inflame me, dismiss the inquiry with a flippant remark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post

Yay Jesus.
    You have that in Englandshire? I thought it was a Scottish thing.

MJ If the owners can't agree on the upkeep of the shared element of the property, as a last resort the council (local government) will send someone to do it and, knowing the owners are over the proverbial barrel, the workman will shaft until they squeal like a pig. Usually the sight of a council clipboard is enough to bring people to their senses and get stuff fixed themselves at a sensible price.
    Not in my case. I own a home in a block that belongs to the local governing body (council). They own some of the other flats and they're responsible for the upkeep of communal areas for which I pay a service charge. The EU has decided that certain fire safety standards have to be met in publically owned buildings, which mine is, and so even though I have an exemption for control of my own doors and windows I still have to replace my door, which is only a couple of years old, because it falls below standard. I'm pretty pissed off about it because I don't just have a spare £800 lying around. Plus, the cheerful way they informed me made me want to both cry and punch them repeatedly in the face at the same time.

10. Lounge   -   #110
    manker's Avatar effendi
    N'awwh. You replied to everyone in every thread.
    You great big bucket of parma violets, you

===

£4000 for a door seems ridiculous. Like wtf.
    Unless I've misunderstood something when you said you had to buy one 5th of it.
    Anyway, what I wanted to say is that councils move very slowly. Pay them small amounts but often and If you write them enough very eloquent but completely obtuse letters, it'll take ages before they set the dawgs on you. Months before they send anything to their collection dept, and that's if you don't interact with them at all. It'll take a year if you do.

I know I sound flippant, don't wanna teach you how to suck eggs, but I have lots of hints for warding off evil money collecting civil servants.
    Part of my jawb description in these tuff times
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast