Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Download Manager

vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    flashget.com is up, so got v1.4 and a serial...thanks to a stalavis ta.com
    will check it out next time..cheers guys
    <insert signature here>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    They both download things don&#39;t they? I find emule does it better. Mind you I do avoid those crappy multipart files in favour of ISO&#39;s.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Originally posted by DL.@13 November 2003 - 20:02
    They both download things don&#39;t they? I find emule does it better. Mind you I do avoid those crappy multipart files in favour of ISO&#39;s.
    You compare eMule with Kazaa, Shareaza, BitTorrent, Piolet, WinMX, eDonkey, Overnet, etc. These are peer-to-peer applications.
    You compare FlashGet with GetRight, Download Accelerator Plus, NetPumper, NetAnts, GoZilla, etc. These are download managers.

Can you compare a car with a plane? They both get you to places.

And what the hell do you mean by multipart files? Care to explain that a little better?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    k, firstly, why would i need to use a p2p app to dl linux? its free, and i can get it a damn sight quicker from the dedicated ftps than i can from any p2p app.

secondly, you really cant compare the two ideas...i want stg to dl from websites and ftp servers, not from other users.

Thanks for the advice anyway, but i really need one of these progs.

edit: and btw: i am dling isos
    <insert signature here>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    FlashGet IF you want warez.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    This is the common result I found in My first search for flashget
    http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2071-10039766.html

I did get it from a russian mirror eventualy.

Ummmm multipart means just that. Multi parts. All hacked up with winrar or whatever so you need something like 20 parts to reassemble the program. A convenience meant for dial up I assume but a pain in the ass for myself.

You may compare whatever you like If your results with emule are that poor, then maybe you beter stick to your downloaders. I have no problem getting what I need when I need it using emule and a few ftp tools.

I have reviewed flashget and found it didn&#39;t suit my needs. If you feel total alegiance to it, fine&#33; No one&#39;s stopping you. Push it all you want. But try to be adult about it if you can

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    @DL.

I begin to think that you don&#39;t have the slightest clue of what you&#39;re talking about.

Multipart files, as you call them, are not "hacked" with WinRAR.
    And no, they don&#39;t have nothing to do with dial-up users, although it&#39;s handy for them.

Do you actually know where most of the files you download, come from?
    Release groups distribute their files mainly through newsgroups. The maximum size a file can have when posted in a newsgroup is 15 MB.

Now tell me, how in the world can a CD image of a game which is 700 MB big (or more), be posted in a newsgroup that only allows files up to 15 MB in size?
    I&#39;m sure that if it depended on you it would never be released&#33;

This is why WinRAR is used. You can compress and split any archive in volumes, so that each volume is exactly 15 MB.

People get these files from newsgroups and then they&#39;re spread to IRC and the p2p community.
    The files you download with p2p applications are the files already extracted from the original release.

But I still don&#39;t know what all this has to do with FlashGet.
    FlashGet is a download manager. You download from web servers not from other people like p2p. It takes the most out of your bandwidth so that your files are downloaded quicker. It allows you to resume broken downloads.
    FlashGet doesn&#39;t split files if that&#39;s what&#39;s bugging you. When your download is complete you will see just one file.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Try Net Transport.

It&#39;s very similar to Flashget but it&#39;s also able to
    download streaming media and it&#39;s freeware.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    Try star downloader
    u will probably get it at http://www.download.com

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster
    Johnny_B, you are a total twat&#33;

News groups .. right.... ever wondered where they get the files from?

When you&#39;re all growed up, pay us a visit maybe

/]http://forum.[illegal link]/

When you get to 1000 quality posts you get to see and share the real goods.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast