Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shall I Upgrade To A 1meg Broadband

Hi

wot do you guys think, i've already got broadband at 512kbs, but my isp is offering a free upgrade to a 1meg pipe for free, but it costs like 38pound month

so wot do you guys think is it woth up grading?
    has anyone here got a 1meg connection, if so how long does it take to doenload a movie with it?
    [COLOR=red] [SIZE=14]Doing it My Way Now

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    i used to live out in the boonies and my internet was capped at 512k, then i moved back to the city where i now enjoy 3megs+ and i'll tell you there is a huge difference.

the main benefit for me is i download multiple things at a time and it's always nice to see four or five downloads 'well' over 100kbps at a minimum.

if you do a lot of downloading i would recommend it... if you only do a bit of dowloading and maybe some game playing it wouldn't be worth the extra charge...

rk

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Oh, I would go for it without hesitation.

There is no feeling to compare with having a superfast connection and DLing from a bunch of 56Kers.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Im in the uk and have a 1mb connection with ntl costing £34.99, i used to have the 600k with them costing £24.99 and upgraded 5mnths ago. I do see a difference with the speed of pages opening etc, and the fastest download speed in kazaa ive seen was 150kb/sec but i used to hit 110/115 with the 600k package so the difference isnt that much, i would see if they will let you trial it for a month before you sign up because if you dont see a huge difference it may not be worth the extra money to you. ask them if they cap the upload and downloads. i'm tied in for the next 7 months and i wouldnt have bothered upgrading if i had done my research with ntl and realised they cap the downloads to not much more than the 600k package.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    boyzeee
    Yeah I have just gone to 1 meg with them too main reason was for the extra upload speed.

has anyone here got a 1meg connection, if so how long does it take to doenload a movie with it?
    NOW that is still the bug bear as normal first you have to get the users online for one if you do 700 meg comes in at around 1hr 25mins.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    im not complaining about the speed its just not a huge difference from the 600k package but still fast as F**K

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Tell me

Wish we had want some of these other countries have

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    you said it

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    What exactly do you mean by a free upgrade?
    The hardware is exactly the same, both at your end and at their end.
    All they do is change something in the software.

The question you need to ask yourself is do you want to pay £38/month (does that include vat?), or can you get it cheaper. For example, Pipex is £33.99/month (inc vat) but has a startup fee, worth checking if you can drop the startup fee if you've already got broadband - they want YOUR business.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Oh please they get us coming and going and i would be more concerned with what can i download & upload 10gb or 5 gb thats the question just a thought thou

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast