Thread: Finally Got Shadow

Finally was able to download shadow from the site but how do I "optimize" it so I can get faster downloads? My download speeds have been pathetic thus far and I'm on a T3. (not behind I firewall [to my knowledge] nor am I using a router [college network])...

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    There isn't much to customize that will help. Although it is mentioned in a few places that if you cap your upload speed to just under your max you will get better results. I don't notice a difference so I don't bother.

It is mostly going to depend on the sources available. Seeds to peers etc. If you get in to the torrent too early at the larger sites you will probably get slower speeds because 1 or 2 seeds will be giving to too many peers. If you get in too late you risk not getting the whole file.

Usually, you just let it go and hope for the best. Speeds will usually pick up.

Oh yeah, if you are running XP, double check that the built in firewall is not running. It will block a lot of connections. I found out the hard way.

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Thanks for the response.

Two quick questions:

1). How do I check my XP firewall?

2). what does the total download speed "meter" mean? (for instance, right now I am downloading 8 mile and the total speed is around 180kbs...

Thanks again

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    1. Go to control panel/network internet connections/network connections/right click on your connection/select properties/advanced and make sure internet connection firewall is unchecked.

Or if you have the little computer connection icon in you task bar just double click on it/right click on your connection/properties/advanced and uncheck internet connection firewall.

2. It is supposed to be the total speed of all peers you are connected to.

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Hi guys,

I just started using it to, and the damn yellow lite wont turn green. I am using Xp pro(firewall is on), with norton firewall and both r on. I tried To disable both of them, and in norton firewall it has full acsess to the net.

Can someone plz tell me the firewall settings so that i can get maximun speed. My speed connection is 2320 Kbs in and out .

Thanks for the help.

DVDLOVER25

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    muchspl2
    start-> run -> cmd
    then type services.msc
    find and disable the IFC internet connection firewall

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Hi muchspl2,

Thanx dor your help, i did what u told me to but still no green light :-(

but thanx for your help

DVDLOVER25