Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Animal Lovers

Poster
    There certainly appear to be a lot of animal lovers on the board, given recent posts and strong emotions being expressed.

How many of you are also vegetarian or vegan. I just wonder if your affection only extends to "domestic animals" or if it is to all animals.

Perhaps your affection is only to a particular phylum. e.g. you may find mammals to be unacceptable as a source of food, whilst considering pisces fair game.

Please believe me when I say that the question is genuine. I am interested in establishing how one would decide that to eat a lamb is OK, but to do the same with a pup would be offensive.

In essence, is it possible to say "I am an animal lover" whilst eating veal.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Ex-member
    *Raises hand

I think my views are well-known enough around here that I don't have to re-iterate them...

3. Lounge   -   #3
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    i dont care how cute it is. if its in supply, good for me and tasty, i'll eat it.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by J'Pol@13 November 2003 - 23:33
    There certainly appear to be a lot of animal lovers on the board, given recent posts and strong emotions being expressed.

How many of you are also vegetarian or vegan. I just wonder if your affection only extends to "domestic animals" or if it is to all animals.

Perhaps your affection is only to a particular phylum. e.g. you may find mammals to be unacceptable as a source of food, whilst considering pisces fair game.

Please believe me when I say that the question is genuine. I am interested in establishing how one would decide that to eat a lamb is OK, but to do the same with a pup would be offensive.

I am not necessary an 'animal lover' of the kind that you imply. I just do not like to see needless slaughter of any living thing. The use of the word 'Needless' probably covers the food issue.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by bigboab+14 November 2003 - 00:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigboab &#064; 14 November 2003 - 00:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@13 November 2003 - 23:33

I am not necessary an &#39;animal lover&#39; of the kind that you imply. I just do not like to see needless slaughter of any living thing. The use of the word &#39;Needless&#39; probably covers the food issue.[/b][/quote]
    I am interested in establishing how one would decide that to eat a lamb is OK, but to do the same with a pup would be offensive.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    SniperInTheShadows's Avatar Poster
    I&#39;m soz to say that even though I think some animal&#39;s are great, alway&#39;s had pet&#39;s when I was growing up, I am a meat eater :-(

I&#39;m not going to make any excuses as I know in the end it&#39;s my choice what I eat, but I believe it&#39;s partialy to do with being brought up to love some animal&#39;s yet being given other&#39;s to eat and I don&#39;t think I could change my way&#39;s at this stage :-(

Sniper.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    ARGGHHH fuck here we go again.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Ex-member
    The problem is that many people are desensitized to meat.

They think that when they eat meat, it&#39;s just food - they don&#39;t associate it with animals.

When they eat venison:

It never crosses their mind that thay are eating this:

People just don&#39;t make the link. Because it&#39;s convenient not to think about it.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@13 November 2003 - 23:45
    I am interested in establishing how one would decide that to eat a lamb is OK, but to do the same with a pup would be offensive.
    Probably because we dont have lambs runing around the house. I know years ago when my family kept chicken there was a lot of wailing etc. when one was required for the table. So I suppose the answer to your question is, what the eye does not see, the mind does not ponder on.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by bigboab@13 November 2003 - 23:51
    what the eye does not see, the mind does not ponder on.
    Hear hear.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast