Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ram Question

What sort of system would get a boost from using ultra fast DDR RAM then?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    Cpu chips aren't particularly affected by FSB speeds (within reason), it is the overall frequency which affects them. But ancilliary subsystems (AGP, PCI, memory etc) which are working at FSB derived speeds are directly affected.

With sime systems it is possible to clock these subsystems spearatly, but as Lamsey says, it is advisable to keep FSB and memory clock speeds equal to ensure synchronisation and therefore maximum throughput. But overclocking could exceed the capabilities of memory which is already at its designated maximum speed and therefore cause instability. In this case, it is possible that you could have more success in overclocking a system which had faster memory. This is particularly true as you approach the 'cutting edge' of memory/system speeds.

Edit: clarity
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Make sure you get two sticks, so that you can use dual-channel RAM capabilities.
    Whats that??? I mean Dual-channel Ram???

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Cygnuz-Y@14 November 2003 - 01:29
    Make sure you get two sticks, so that you can use dual-channel RAM capabilities.
    Whats that??? I mean Dual-channel Ram???
    Dual channel ram is an idea which allows memory transfers to/from one bank while the other bank is being prepared for the next transfer. Effectively it cuts out the set-up latency and therefore speeds up memory transfers.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey+13 November 2003 - 19:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 13 November 2003 - 19:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-cjsavvy@14 November 2003 - 00:14
    Just found a 3000+ with a FSB of 400Mhz for 160 pounds - thats a saving of nearly 100&#33;&#33; Thanks guys&#33;&#33; Is there no point going higher than PC3200??
    Not really - it&#39;s more efficient to have the FSB speeds and RAM speeds match. You wouldn&#39;t get much of a performance boost out of getting ultra-fast RAM. [/b][/quote]
    Woah woah woah there lamsey, your frogetting overclocking.

But yeah, if you get 4200 DDR-Ram, That will give you plenty of room to up the FSB past the 400Mhz that its set at. Of course, I would 4200 Seems a bit extreme for AMD chips, perhaps some nice 3700 Is all you need, seeing as how you wouldnt be able to take full advantage of the 4200 Ram.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Im sorry with out sounding rude do you have more money than brains? How much ram do uou think you need? 512MB
    is fine I,d worry more about my video & sound. Are you runnind CAD.?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    If he is doing Video editing, 512 is the minimum.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Oh good point then bye a Mac

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey@13 November 2003 - 23:54
    If you&#39;re buying a 3200+ Barton Athlon XP, I believe the FSB speed is 400MHz. Therefore, the most suitable type of RAM is PC3200, which effectively runs at 400MHz (200MHz x2).

Whats the best ram for me if i have 800mhz FBS

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by Cotton+14 November 2003 - 07:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cotton @ 14 November 2003 - 07:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lamsey@13 November 2003 - 23:54
    If you&#39;re buying a 3200+ Barton Athlon XP, I believe the FSB speed is 400MHz. Therefore, the most suitable type of RAM is PC3200, which effectively runs at 400MHz (200MHz x2).

Whats the best ram for me if i have 800mhz FBS [/b][/quote]
    400 MHz RAM, because it interfaces with your FSB at a ratio of 0.5 : 1

In actual fact, the 800MHz P4 FSB is simple a QDR (Quadruple Data Rate) bus running at an actual clock speed of 200MHz. Combined with DDR (Double Data Rate) RAM running at 200MHz (effective speed 400MHz, or PC3200), they match up well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast