Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The states need more parties

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    The U.S. presidential system has always been on my nerve. I'm trying to sort through the convoluted mess that is the bicameral parliamentary system used in other democratic states. I think I would prefer a Parliament since their discussions don't seem like eulogies or Marriot banquets; additionally they seem to have more parties.

This essential two party system would be better if voters didn't have to align themselves with a party during registration, and could vote/troll the primaries and Caucasus Mountains. During my reading up on all this, I found inspiration in a new signature.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 12-09-2011 at 03:23 AM. Reason: belated proofing
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    During my reading up on all this, I found inspiration in a new signature.
    Agreed on the need for additional parties, but unfortunately, the ones that pop up are filled with nuts.

RE: New signature- I'm certain those within a 4-6 inch radius of you can feel your frustration.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    RE: New signature- I'm certain those within a 4-6 inch radius of you can feel your frustration.
    That distance could increase depending on the age of "others"

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    It actually always fascinated me that the U.S. regards itself as a bastion of democracy when in fact the electoral system is anything but democratic. The real power is with the lobby groups, so the politicians are literally up for auction rather than election, it just depends which lobby group 'funds' their respective electoral campaign.

The Declaration of Independence is a very high-minded document draughted by some very forward thinking minds at the time, but the practice of politics in the U.S. is radically different to the ideals propounded in that document.

I can say this from the position of living in a country with an MMP electoral system for members of the Parliament. The politicians themselves may not like it, in fact they just had a referendum with the last election to see if we wanted to change and this was resounding a 'no'. There is transparency for electoral campaigns too, since there is a cap to the amount of funds that can be spent on each type of advertising in a campaign, as well the fact that all contributors to an electoral campaign must be named, so there are no lobby groups that can fund elections anonymously in an attempt to skew the result.

Any party that can get more than 2% of the vote has the right to be represented in Parliament so we have the complete spectrum represented from the left to the right, but they must work together in order to govern the country and get the laws passed that they want.
    Last edited by Artemis; 12-09-2011 at 04:15 AM. Reason: wordblocks bad :(

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    It actually always fascinated me that the U.S. regards itself as a bastion of democracy when in fact the electoral system is anything but democratic.
    It fascinates you that the U.S. mouthpiece has lips made of ass cheeks? It's an expectation as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Any party that can get more than 2% of the vote has the right to be represented in Parliament so we have the complete spectrum represented from the left to the right, but they must work together in order to govern the country and get the laws passed that they want.
    I want this. The executive branch is more of an inner circle in presidential democracy, largely owing to the allegiances formed to obtain the position. It's all a bit of a joke really. The same could probably be said about every government, but I guess the grass on the other side always seems to have less anthills.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    No matter what the system the country still ends up being run not by the most moral nor the most altruistic, the kindest, the furthest sighted nor the smartest. It ends up being run by the one (or few) who excels at personal promotion both in the public eye and behind the scenes with the others they make deals with. That said, a system which forces them into open cross-party collaboration can serve to curb their excesses. And a genuinely free press can help. Also, politically inclined bloggers. Basically, the closer we watch our leaders the better government we end up with.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    OlegL's Avatar Poster
    I actually think the U.S. political system is superior to the British political system. There is a clear separation of powers in the U.S., checks and balances exist between the executive, judicial, and legislative branches. As far as I know, in England, the British Prime Minister and the Parliament can't control one another the same way the U.S. President can control the Congress and vice versa. I don't know how good the German and French political systems are when you compare them to the American system. And, I may be wrong, but isn't it true that in some American states, voters don't have to align themselves with a specific party before voting in primaries or caucuses?
    The American democratic system is good and it's strong; that's what I know.
    Last edited by OlegL; 12-09-2011 at 08:49 AM.
    I love FST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Lounge   -   #8
    That just reminded me. I've heard that the Swiss system is very good. I don't know the details, but I do know they have a lot of referendums. [And also that they just voted to allow downloading to remain legal, which suggests they are not under the thumb of industry interest groups.]

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by temisturk View Post
    That just reminded me. I've heard that the Swiss system is very good. I don't know the details, but I do know they have a lot of referendums. [And also that they just voted to allow downloading to remain legal, which suggests they are not under the thumb of industry interest groups.]
    Other pluses, they are great at making watches, elaborate cuckoo clocks and Toblerone, but they get a huge minus for not having ANY beaches.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

10. Lounge   -   #10
    manker's Avatar effendi
    The idea of referendums every third Wednesday is sweet but it makes no sense at all.
    Referendums are fine when it comes to matters of the heart, such as changing a flag. But the notion of asking the great unwashed if they think we should, for example, increase the funds provision to alleviate foreign banks gives rise to an irresistible urge to double face-palm.

The thought process behind the voting would be; 'fuck those stavros cunts, I'm saying no' or 'I like kebabs, so yes' or 'Lesbos sounds like lesbians, fuck yeah'.

Also, the ability to watch our leaders via closer ties to each other has the unfortunate side effect of hamstringing decision making. Whereas in the past, a sound decision would be made at face value without debate in half a second. That decision now, no matter how blindingly obvious, has to have approval from seventeen different departments.

The result is usually placing wood approximal to architrave rather subsequent to the equine sally.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast