Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Can I Do?

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    ok. i have a raidmax 868 case. here's a pic:

http://www.vitalitycomputer.com/ra868miatxca.html
    http://uniwest.homestead.com/files/Newcase...8WSP/868WSP.htm

it's only got fan holes for 80 mm fans. i have a 120 mm and a 90 mm case fan just lying around, and i want to put the 120 mm fan into the case. how would i do that without using dremel or cutting the case in any way?
    i was thinking of getting a 80-120 fan adapter, and put it in the back, but i haven't found any 80-120 adapters.

help please. tks in advance.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    You could try screwing in one or 2 of the fans holes in and it would stay just fine.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>Msi ms-6330
    Amd Athlon at 1ghz
    896mb Ram pc-133
    Seagate 80gb 7,200 rpm
    Nvidia Geforce MX 420
    21 inch screen
    MSI 52X32X52 CD-RW (cr52-m)
    SoundBlaster 5.1 mp3+
    Creative Labs 5.1 Speakers
    Xp Pro Sp1</span></span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Triadcool@13 November 2003 - 00:13
    You could try screwing in one or 2 of the fans holes in and it would stay just fine.
    but wouldn&#39;t it shake and rattle a lot?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    No, it probbaly wouldnt.

I have had 80MM fans just standing up in my case before, as well as suspended from the top of it, using tape (funny store time.)

Yeah, so I have the fans taped up above my case, to blow air downward onto the processor, (dont knock it, it lowered my CPU temp by 3 degrees.) so anyway, Im surfing some forums a few days later on it and all of the sudden I hear a horrible knocking sound and then a thug, lol. Well, I checked and the fan had falling and was currently trying its hardest to attempt to slice the IDE cable coming from my DVD-Rom and Cd-RW drives, lol.

Needless to say I removed it, and just put it in the front of the case where its doing a fine job, securely in place.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    I think you could use a 3M tape that has both sides sticky....

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lol. but a 120 mm fan would be too heavy to hang like that. plus, i don&#39;t have enough space at the top. this is a mid-tower, not a full tower

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@12 November 2003 - 20:09
    lol. but a 120 mm fan would be too heavy to hang like that. plus, i don&#39;t have enough space at the top. this is a mid-tower, not a full tower
    I know i was just joking, you dont really want hot air being blown down anyway, but where do you have fans in your case already?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@13 November 2003 - 01:09
    I dont think so, that tape is supposed to take 3 pounds stuff

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    There are 80mm to 120mm fan adaptors, but a little hard to find locally. Online purchase might be your only option.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Darth Sushi@13 November 2003 - 01:28
    There are 80mm to 120mm fan adaptors, but a little hard to find locally. Online purchase might be your only option.
    A lot of the noise is caused by the speed of the air, not the amount of air moved. So channelling the air from a 120mm fan into an 80mm duct is going to generate noise - I suspect you would do just as well to get a quiet 80mm fan in the first place. Or better still, get two 80mm fans and run them at half speed.

Btw, having one fan blow air into your case and another fan blowing air out is extremely inefficient. It is much more sensible to have two fans performing the same operation (both in or both out) as long as there are no major obstructions to airflow. And since PS fans always take air out of the case, it is sensible to add extra exhaust fans.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast