Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Won't Turn On

Infested Cats's Avatar Mike Victory
    Originally posted by clocker@13 November 2003 - 21:19
    What did you do when you "tried another power supply"?

Have you tested the on/off switch?
    When i tested another power supply, I fetched my spare one, unplugged the previous power supply's connections, and reconnected with the other powersupply.

havent tried switch yet.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Originally posted by Infested Cats+14 November 2003 - 01:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Infested Cats @ 14 November 2003 - 01:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-boyzeee@13 November 2003 - 21:11
    you definately got power at the socket?
    I don&#39;t see how I couldn&#39;t... It&#39;s plugged into a powerstrip. [/b][/quote]
    I wouldnt overlook not having any power, it happened to me a couple of years ago and i tried everthing else thinking i had power and it was a loose wire in the socket itself i wasnt impressed to say the least its just a case of going step by step ruling things out, power is the first thing i check&#33;&#33;

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    Assuming you&#39;ve checked everything else, take a close look at one of the fans as you press the power button. If it jerks a little, the problem is either in the power supply, or that the motherboard is not returning a powerok signal (pin 8 on the mobo power connector). If this is the case, the quickest way to check is to borrow a good power supply and try it in the faulty system (just connect the motherboard). If it doesn&#39;t work then the mobo is almost certainly faulty. If it works, the fault is probably in the old PS, but you can then do furhter checks to make sure some other component is not overloading the PS.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    The powercord is tight...

the spare power supply wouldnt work

i did the screwdriver trick

screamed and shouted some more...

nothing. cold dead.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Infested Cats@13 November 2003 - 20:34
    The powercord is tight...

the spare power supply wouldnt work

i did the screwdriver trick

screamed and shouted some more...

nothing. cold dead.
    Have you determind yet though that power is actually going to the power strip?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by _John_Lennon_@13 November 2003 - 21:44
    The power strip is getting power becasue 1) the light on it is lit and 2) everything else that&#39;s plugged into it is functioning.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    So its not the power strip,
    not the power supply.

Sounds like motherboard I guess.

Oh, btw, try disconnecting all non essiental devices too, I.E, everything but the powersupply, and video card from the motherboard, then try and boot it up.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    You didn&#39;t happen to set it to "soft off/on" did you? Have you held the power switch in for 10 seconds?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Well, look who&#39;s back.

Welcome.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Originally posted by Infested Cats+14 November 2003 - 04:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Infested Cats &#064; 14 November 2003 - 04:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-_John_Lennon_@13 November 2003 - 21:44
    The power strip is getting power becasue 1) the light on it is lit and 2) everything else that&#39;s plugged into it is functioning. [/b][/quote]
    You should let some computer expert have a look at it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast