Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jail Time For Movie Swappers

ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    A forthcoming copyright bill backed by key U.S. senators would place file swappers in prison for up to three years if they have a copy of even one prerelease movie in their shared folders.

In addition to the prison term, the Artists' Rights and Theft Prevention Act would punish making such movies available on a public "computer network" as a federal felony with a fine of up to $250,000. It would not require that any copyright infringement actually take place.

Hollywood studios have fretted for years about Internet distribution of prerelease movies, meaning films that have not appeared on DVD or in theaters. Footage of "Star Wars: Episode II," "Tomb Raider" and "The Hulk," has reportedly surfaced on peer-to-peer networks before their commercial distribution. In September, the major studios responded by halting their normal practice of sending DVD "screeners" to Academy Award judges.

A copy of the bill seen by CNET News.com, marked "Discussion Draft," represents one of the fiercest attacks yet on peer-to-peer networks from copyright holders' allies on Capitol Hill.

The threat of a three-year prison term kicks in when anyone makes an illicit copy of a movie "available on a computer network accessible to members of the public," when the film "was intended for commercial distribution but had not been so distributed at the time." Once the film is commercially distributed, the felony penalties appear to no longer apply.

Source

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    ouch! I'm glad I always uphold the LAW!
    SMARTY SMARTY HAD A PARTY NOBODY CAME BUT SMARTY

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Double Agent
    great news!! it's about time somebody put all these losers on kazaa to jail

less lamers on fasttrack network

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    Glad i dont live in the US.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Goes Rawr!
    james_bond_rulez Posted on 14 November 2003 - 05:10

wtf , how can u call them losers, they be sharing movies that are not even release.
    man thats tru Sharing rit there.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Double Agent
    well if they were smart, which i am pretty sure they are not

they would've release them in irc channels, newsgroups, bittorrent, and NOT fasttrack network. if you want movies that doesn't play, music that screeches, games that dont play, apps that dont work then sure go ahead use kazaa

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@13 November 2003 - 22:05
    well if they were smart, which i am pretty sure they are not they would've release them in irc channels, newsgroups, bittorrent, and NOT fasttrack network.
    Mostly true with the exception of Bittorent I imagine...

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@14 November 2003 - 06:05
    well if they were smart, which i am pretty sure they are not

they would've release them in irc channels, newsgroups, bittorrent, and NOT fasttrack network. if you want movies that doesn't play, music that screeches, games that dont play, apps that dont work then sure go ahead use kazaa

A forthcoming copyright bill backed by key U.S. senators would place file swappers in prison for up to three years if they have a copy of even one prerelease movie in their shared folders.
    Apparently their not centering on who released them but anyone that is even in possession of copies of prereleases. You mean to tell me youve never had a said file in your possession?

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    wait, doesn't this also mean persecution against bt users?
    and r they gonna jail u if u dl movies?

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Originally posted by ZaZu@14 November 2003 - 05:02

abu_has_the_power said:
    wait, doesn't this also mean persecution against bt users?
    and r they gonna jail u if u dl movies?
    they can up to 3 years, according to the article.

james_bond_rulez said:

And what does this have to do with just kazaa? If you have the file and are caught with it befor release, your goin down.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast