Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: American Bashing In An Off-topic Forum

HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    i am amazed that after waking up, i find that this topic has not been closed.

am i to assume that since it is still open, that to go around bashing people for their nationality is condoned on this forum?

i would like to be able to believe to it simply was due to no mods being online, but i know that there have been mods online. go figure that they were non american mods, but mods none the less. now maybe if corner pocket had been online it wold have been.

i would just like to thank you all for basically making the statement now, that it is ok to go around bashing people's nationalities.

now let's see how far i can get before a banning after posting an anti european topic.

have a nice day.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Ex-member
    Well if you'd PMed a mod about it in the proper manner, outlining your objections to it, we might have done something.

Whining about it isn't going to get you anywhere.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Well I for one certainly don't condone any bashing of anyone for their nationality, it's just sheer ignorance for anyone to do this. American's are an easy target for a bit of bashing, because we see the media portrayed McDonalds lifestyle of the Americans and forget that we have no idea of what an "average American" actually is (and I think you'd discover they are pretty much the same as anyone else).

For the most part we only see Americans through the media, we only see a part of their culture. We watch their films, read their books, listen to their music, watch their news and then think that we can make a judgement on their whole culture. You can't do that, you have to be a part of a culture before you can truely appreciate it.

This is pretty much a Europen dominated board so bashing the Americans can sometimes seem accpetable, but before just remember that being racist is being racist. There are no acceptable forms of rascism. You can criticise a country's policies, their governments, even their fastfood outlets but you shouldn't discriminate against their people.

Sorry for the long post but rascism has been getting me down lately and I just needed to vent...

4. Lounge   -   #34
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    so you are telling me, that i should just shut up and let others hurl insults at a particular group of users on this board?

5. Lounge   -   #35
    SniperInTheShadows's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Adster@14 November 2003 - 13:33
    Americans are teh country who are most passinate and patrionic about their country which i think is excelent  they cheer their presiedent yet we BOO the f*ck out of our Prime minister at least they have  respect
    I think that's because our Prime Minister is too easily swayed by other countries. The UK used to be great, we had a great health service, good education system, the royal's were people to respect, and we stood up for what we believed in, but now, for the most part, we've given up on all that just to make over countries happy by following their leed and are forgetting about our own countries need's.

I'm not saying we shouldn't help other countries or that there aren't time's when we should follow their leed, but that there's more emphasis on doing that now than sorting ourselves out and getting the UK back to being a great country that's respected around the world.

I respect America for the passion it's people feel about different thing's, I respect them for what they've accomplished in the past and for not allowing themselves to be bullied by anyone. Almost every American i've met, both in person and online, has been friendly and polite and respectful.

However, like any other country, there's alway's going to be a few bad egg's that you'll come across but the best thing to do when you come across someone who's like that is to realise that not everyone's like it and don't let it change your impression of all of them as a country no matter who they are or where they're from :-)

This is all just my own opinion, and i'm soz if it offend's anyone as it's not intended to do so.

Sniper.

EDIT : I hadn't explained something as was intended, so made it more obvious what I was on about :-)

6. Lounge   -   #36
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by HeavyMetalParkingLot@14 November 2003 - 11:06
    so you are telling me, that i should just shut up and let others hurl insults at a particular group of users on this board?
    No HMPL.......I dont believe that you should shut up.
    I do believe that others should be able to state their views.

I don't agree with the the statements posted...but I think post are edited
    way to much by mods as it is.

The internet is one of the few places left for the "common man" to express
    one's self.
    The papers and television are controlled by those that have unlimited
    funds and power.

We as a community moderate what we find offensive.
    However we must not step on others rights to say what they feel.

It's a delicate balance.

I think were all mature enough to weather someones childish attempts
    at nationality bashing.

Speak your mind.........And I will speak mine.

Peace brotherdoobie

7. Lounge   -   #37
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by echidna@14 November 2003 - 15:57
    and so i understand that this alleged nationalist slur was provoked by criticism of the word 'dramedy' ?

unbelievable
    Oh believe me, forum wars have begun on much lesser stuff than that...ha ha ha...yes yes indeed.....

Hang on, lemme show the knife wounds in my back.......

8. Lounge   -   #38
    summerlinda's Avatar Pyretta¤Blaze
    Originally posted by HeavyMetalParkingLot@14 November 2003 - 16:02
    now let's see how far i can get before a banning after posting an anti european topic.

have a nice day.
    I think "us" Europeans, don't feel European in particular, we are either Dutch, German, Swedish, Italian or whatever. We don't talk in terms of "Europeans" we have different leaders, laws languages etc etc
    Ask any European where he comes from or where he lives and he will never say: Europe, instead he will name his home country.

Euuhhh my point?
    Not sure, there's no point i guess....

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Originally posted by summerlinda@14 November 2003 - 17:04

I think "us" Europeans, don't feel European in particular...
    ...and I never thought of us "Americans" as a race.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by summerlinda+14 November 2003 - 12:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (summerlinda @ 14 November 2003 - 12:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-HeavyMetalParkingLot@14 November 2003 - 16:02
    now let&#39;s see how far i can get before a banning after posting an anti european topic.

have a nice day.
    I think "us" Europeans, don&#39;t feel European in particular, we are either Dutch, German, Swedish, Italian or whatever. We don&#39;t talk in terms of "Europeans" we have different leaders, laws languages etc etc
    Ask any European where he comes from or where he lives and he will never say: Europe, instead he will name his home country.

Euuhhh my point?
    Not sure, there&#39;s no point i guess.... [/b][/quote]
    Yes all of us North Americans..............Should try and remember that.

Peace brotherdoobie

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast