Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Deskbar!

Google Deskbar

Google Deskbar enables you to search with Google from any application without lifting your fingers from the keyboard. Installs easily in your Windows taskbar.

Key Features: 
    • Search using Google, even when your browser isn't running
    • Preview search results in a small inset window that closes automatically
    • Access Google from any application by typing Ctrl+Alt+G
    • Use keyboard shortcuts for multiple Google searches, i.e., Google News (Ctrl+N),Google Images (Ctrl+I), or Froogle (Ctrl+F)

Sidenote:

Is Google tracking some information?

Yes
    Is the Google Deskbar tracking any information about me at all?
    Yes. The Google Deskbar does collect information about the number of times you use each of its features when the Feedback Statistics option is turned on. By counting uses of specific features, we get an idea of which parts of the Google Deskbar users find most helpful. However, no personal information about you (name, address, phone number, etc.) or your searches is collected. And you can turn tracking off using the Options dialog box.

Also note that Google Deskbar checks once a day to see if a new update is available. This check is recorded by Google and cannot be disabled. In addition to ensuring you always have the latest version of the application, this connection to Google lets us know approximately how many active Google Deskbars are in use.
    Google Deskbar FAQ

When you install it asks whether you want to send stats or not. Just say no.

Google is always ahead in the game B)
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    I don&#39;t get what makes Google any better than say, Yahoo. I&#39;ve searched with both, yes I got different results but it&#39;s all the same. Mostly I use Yahoo, force of habit.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Google is the best. they give great spell checking. but.

What difference does it make if you can use Google Desk Bar without a Browser. when you click on a link you still have to open your browser.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Unless you have Google as your start page, it saves a few minor steps.

Pretty cool idea. I&#39;ll have to try it out.

[addendum]

Just installed it. I don&#39;t know why, but I fell it should be noted that this is beta software (version 0.5), and I&#39;m a bit drunk.... and laughing. Ok, maybe not just "a bit". Umm...

Very cool little tool.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    wow this really come in handy, thanks I.am

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    i have installed this before but as i can remember it caused more hassle and took up more resources than needed.

google is only a click away anyhow?&#33;?&#33;?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by basics@14 November 2003 - 15:05
    [...] took up more resources than needed.
    It&#39;s only using 400K of RAM on my system.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Yahoo uses googles indexing but their page ranking is different. So obviously, you cannot compare yahoo and google since yahoo uses google&#39;s indexing technology. Although, Yahoo recently bought INKTOM but they havent implement it yet.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    @Cygnuz-Y , you are most welcome.

@Russo, yup it still opens a new window. But i guess it saves one step of opening a new window...going to google and search for it. Or if you have a google toolbar you still have to open the browser before searching. Google has some nice tools eg: calculator, reverse phone number lookup etc. which you can just type on your deskbar and search. Many time you dont even need to click on a link for these purposes. But this is definetly not a breakthrough. Just an addon.

@Cl1mh4224rd, how is it coming along?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    muchspl2
    its not like the toolbar is it with page rank or anything is it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast