Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Children watching television

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    My twins are just shy of 2-years old. So far, we have been watching shows like CSI, Deadwood, Dexter, Breaking Bad, etc. along with whatever movies we come across with our daughter. We hadn't really thought much of it, assuming she was just watching the action scenes, basic interactions, and not really comprehending much. This attitude changed a few weeks ago when she jumped as a result of a CSI character graphically shooting himself in the head.

She hasn't had any bad dreams, and she shows no signs of imitating actions she has seen. I doubt there has been any damage done.

On the other hand, I am curious where, and when, a line needs to be drawn regarding programming. We play cartoons, and children's shows during daytime hours, either that, or Pandora plays a variety of music. either way, there is something generally on in the background. The shows like CSI are watched before bed with my wife and I. Our daughter really enjoys this bonding time each night. So do we. honestly, it is the one time of the day that my wife and I can set aside to watch something together.

So, those of you who have kids, please sound-off on this. What lines have you drawn? When do you think television begins to affect them?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    If I chime in, your daughter will surely become a stripper or a prostitute as a result. I will bow out now with only this, only you know what's best for your kids... trust your instincts. They are more resilient than they're given credit for, and we have all surely survived worse.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    My own children are older with a son of 13 and a daughter of 6, but there are definite rules which they respect. For my daughter she has her kids channels Disney Jr. & Nick Jr. largely with some cartoon network thrown in, with the deal being that kids watch their programs during the daytime and parents watch their programs at night. In her case she is to busy anyway, but if she is watching and something is too graphic, it is either paused, or she is asked not to watch which she understands, or the channel is changed if the TV was just 'on' which sometimes happens.

My son is far more interested in gaming anyway, but there are rules there too. In fact he has tried repeatedly to get us to purchase one of the Grand Theft Auto games, but the idea of him playing a game where he rips of whores and shoots pimps to get their cash is a line which we find too far. I am more concerned with gaming technology in that it is interactive and therefore engages the brain and the fight or flight response, than the background noise that TV can be, but then if there is just crap on in the background on the TV we use an under utilised button on the remote and turn it off.

As macky said though, it is up to you to provide the guidance for your kids, you are their main source for morals and behavior to emulate, and judging from your past posts on the subject, if anything you are overprotective of them and their welfare. There are many other trials in life, as long as TV isn't used as an automatic babysitter then you should end up with healthy children instead of couch potatoes.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I stopped watching anything containing bad language or violence while my son was still awake when he started stringing sentences together.
    He was about two, I guess.
    I think television, like any stimulus, would affect a child at that age.

Looks like it was easier for me though, mbm, my son's most endearing trait right up until he learned to converse was that if we put him to bed at 8, he would stay there silently til the morning. I had started to think that he was some kind of freak but I've learned since that there is medical precedent for this fortuitous condition.

As to guidelines; He's seven now and I believe it's important for a child to know that swearing around adults is not acceptable, so obviously we won't watch anything with curse words. The same with violence. Passively watching a show where the bad guys get shot isn't legitimising it to us, but kids won't be able to rationalise it like we can.
    As long as I'm there, I'll let him watch anything with a 12 certificate or under. The only violence in those is against vampires or aliens or w.e.

Obviously, the kids in the school-yard are going to expand his vocabulary and soon enough he will be surreptitiously watching things like Human Centipede VII on his laptop. But he will know he'll be in trouble with me if I find out, and knowing that he understands I disapprove and being prepared to mete out suitable and consistent punishment should transgressions be uncovered is about all one can do as a parent.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    I wouldn't presume to tell you what you should allow your children to watch but surely for family bonding time you could find something more interesting for a child than stories about drug dealers and serial killers but still more interesting for you and your wife than cartoons and childrens shows. Maybe something from here http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...type=tv_series

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    I thank everyone for the thoughtful input on this. We are still quite new to this parenting thing, and are bound to make a few errors in judgement. I do believe we need to draw a better line regarding this type of programming. Now that I am starting to look at it through the eyes of my daughter, I am starting to wonder how much of it we need to watch.

I am still pondering it fully, but my current line-of-thought is something in the ballpark of, "We aren't violent, or angry, people. We wouldn't have a shouting match, or display physical aggression towards each other, and we certainly wouldn't do such a thing in front of our children- I grew up with that, and I know how upsetting it can be. Why would I allow a television program to give them a view of something I am aware of as inappropriate behavior?"

My thoughts may still take a bit more of a moderate stance, but thinking out loud, that is where I am leaning...
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    So I take it the kids are no longer allowed to watch Deadwood, and have my dream made to become reality.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    There's still a good chance she'll become a stripper with the economy the way it is, and the Presidential "candidates" at bat. Heck, if economic conditions stay the course, I'll most likely be selling her off before television programming becomes much of an issue..

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Now I'm curious, how much do you think you get for 'er?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Are we negotiating* here, or just talking "hypothetically"?

*And, we aren't talking about some cheap Chinese knock-off here, either. So, don't think you can use that as a leveraging point to get her cheap. She's never been dropped, has been stored in the garage, and still has that "new" baby smell...

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast