Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: An Error I Get On My Pc

Poster
    Originally posted by muchspl2@14 November 2003 - 23:19
    sounds bad, this is one of the few times I would recommend a full reformat and reinstall of windows
    next time always run a AV, and scan before you open things

using norton by chance, maybe its time to upgrade to a better AV
    I like avg as resident sophos as a non-resident
    i got norton 2004 (or 2003 cant remember right now&#33 what resident and non resident?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Try jv16 power tools
    I just installed this program and searched for system32 in the registry tools...And it found about 122 files...They look kinda important ..Should I delete them or not?

thanx

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Just closing it in task manger wont delete the file, it'll only close the exe. You say that Windows reports that system32.exe is missing, so i guess your AV deleted the file.

What antivirus are you using? There will be a log file somewhere that will tell you what the virus is called. Once you have found that out, do a search at Symantecs site for instructions on how to clean the registry entries. If you're really lucky, there will be a removal tool but don't worry if there's not, just follow the instructions.

And make sure and do an online scan.

No to deleting all system32 files, it's system32.exe that is the dodgy one remember. Forget that and look for the virus log.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by 3223+15 November 2003 - 00:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3223 @ 15 November 2003 - 00:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-muchspl2@14 November 2003 - 23:19
    sounds bad, this is one of the few times I would recommend a full reformat and reinstall of windows

i got norton 2004 (or 2003 cant remember right now&#33 what resident and non resident? [/b][/quote]
    Resident = your local AV. Installed on your computer for realtime protection.

Non Resident = Online scan. This is important because some viri disable resident scanners, it&#39;s a second line of defense that may pick up something your resident misses.

All you need to know can be found here:-

http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=56265

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Have you tried searching the registry for any "system32.exe" entries?
    There have to be some left.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Aint got no virus log ..I did a online scan

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by LTJBukem+15 November 2003 - 01:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LTJBukem @ 15 November 2003 - 01:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by 3223@15 November 2003 - 00:57
    <!--QuoteBegin-muchspl2
    @14 November 2003 - 23:19

i got norton 2004 (or 2003 cant remember right now&#33 what resident and non resident?
    Resident = your local AV. Installed on your computer for realtime protection.

Non Resident = Online scan. This is important because some viri disable resident scanners, it&#39;s a second line of defense that may pick up something your resident misses.

All you need to know can be found here:-

http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=56265 [/b][/quote]
    thnx. should i use Panda Active Scan or Symantec Security Scan & Virus Detection?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    Have you tried searching the registry for any "system32.exe" entries?
    There have to be some left.
    I missed ur comment..But yes..I did that and nothing was found

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    isnt system32.exe needed by windows and if thats deleted you can get serious errors (i think ) i would reinstall windows m8, it would be easier. Or you could just leave ur pc on 24.7

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster
    I dont think its deleted...the system32 folder is there..But it doesnt appear in the task bar no more..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast