Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: An Error I Get On My Pc

Poster
    Not sure where I should ask this quastion so Im just gonna post it here...Yesterday I found a virus on my computer ant it told me ..In order to delete this virus I needed to go to my taskbar and end the procces of "system32.exe..So I did that and deleted the virus...But now when I start my computer I get this mesage telling me that "windows cannot locate system32.exe on my computer"

Any ideas on what I should do?

thanx

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    You need to remove the registry entries. Check here for instructions on how.

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/anal...rojsdbotu.html

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    thanx .ill try that now.....

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    they were already removed..and I get the same problem again..It looks like the file was deleted or something...Is it possible if someone just sends me the file true msn and I just restore it into the folder??

thanx

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    and can this thing harm my computer?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Check in your start up folder on the desktop or open with msconfig and look at the start up what is your O/S .

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    muchspl2
    sounds bad, this is one of the few times I would recommend a full reformat and reinstall of windows
    next time always run a AV, and scan before you open things

using norton by chance, maybe its time to upgrade to a better AV
    I like avg as resident sophos as a non-resident

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    MY pc is running smooth..No problems there..Its just that when I start the comp I get a pop up message telling me windown cannot locate system32.exe...

sounds bad, this is one of the few times I would recommend a full reformat and reinstall of windows
    Is it that bad!?...what does this program do?? (system32)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by far@14 November 2003 - 22:20
    they were already removed..and I get the same problem again..It looks like the file was deleted or something...Is it possible if someone just sends me the file true msn and I just restore it into the folder??

thanx
    You're not understanding what is happening mate.

system32.exe is either a Trojan Horse or a virus, you do not want it on your system.

So far you have rightly deleted this file, but there are registry entries still linking to it at start up. You need to delete them too. What was the name your anti virus gave you when it detected this? You say it advised you to delete the system32.exe file, what else did it tell you? Look in the AV scanners log, you'll find it in the options somewhere.

Try jv16 power tools (free- Google it) to view your registry and delete any references to this file.

Also, do an online scan such as that linked to you by muchspl. I wouldn't format and reinstall windows; there's probably no need.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    I really cant remember the name of the virus..It didnt tell me to delete system32.exe..It told me to go to the task manager and end the procces of it in order to delete the virus.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast