Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just Something

Poster
    Originally posted by pol@15 November 2003 - 00:04

here's another, again from the old man, "son, if you ever walk in to a bookies take the time to notice that there's three pay-in windows and one pay-out window"

You have a wise Pater old bean.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Poster
    Originally posted by SniperInTheShadows@15 November 2003 - 00:11
    The most important thing anyones ever said to me is something my family's said to me - "You know that no matter what we'll alway's be there for you and love you" 

They alway's have been there for me and it's the most important thing in the world to me 

If there is one thing I have tried to get across to our progeny it is that message. We love you, without conditions.

One cannot be given a greater gift than to know that, no matter what, people will be there for you.

Take advice from an old man. If you can give your children one thing, give them that.

No matter what the world thinks, even if I disagree with you, I will support you. We may disagree in private, but in public I will always be there for you.

Bloody well said SITS

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Ella's Avatar Upside down
    My old Mum had a few gems...

"Love a lot, trust a few, always paddle your own canoe."

and

"I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes. And then I met a man with no feet".

She also used the don't shit on your own doorstep in terms of not having workplace romances....and I never have had one.
    Up Yours! Love from The Club....

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Poster

an old boss quoted me my sig..... always stuck in my mind but I have no idea who quoted it originally....
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Courier'>The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement.....</span>
    <span style='color:red'><u>Don't Go Here.........</u></span></span>

5. Lounge   -   #25
    "Work hard and be nice to people". That was said to me on my first day as a salesman. I got (still get) lots of sales "advice" and selling "tips" but that was by far the best advice I have ever recieved. It works on so many different levels.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    "Don&#39;t bullshit a bullshitter".

"Never play straight pool with a snooker player".

Two from me Dad.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #27
    BANNED
    My old man used to say to me .."Son, if you get caught, don&#39;t say a bloody word till the solicitor gets there" It&#39;s always worked for me.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I don&#39;t know that he was the first to say this, but my recently-deceased brother-in-law Richard said to me , in a discussion of the Israel/Palestine dilemma:

"We fly the earth like birds and swim the sea like fish, but cannot walk the earth as brothers."

He died of cancer 5 weeks later.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    If there&#39;s one thing I&#39;ve learned by reading this thread, it&#39;s that most people seem to give the best advice right before they die. Why is that? Maybe they were making profound statements their entire life, but we only pay attention to them after they&#39;re gone.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Poster
    Originally posted by Nightwolf@15 November 2003 - 22:11
    If there&#39;s one thing I&#39;ve learned by reading this thread, it&#39;s that most people seem to give the best advice right before they die. Why is that? Maybe they were making profound statements their entire life, but we only pay attention to them after they&#39;re gone.
    That&#39;s a very wise thing to say.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast