Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tweaks And Tips For Win Xp

we all want to keep our comps in tip-top shape and i hope this thread will help some of you.
    please add any and everyone of your tweaks for windows xp here.
    Note-most of this thread was intended for noobs

The Basics

Run the "diskcleanup" utility.- Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\DiskCleanup

Run "scandisk"- Start\Mycomputer\right click on "localdisk"\properties\Tools\error checking

Run "DiskDefragmenter"- Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\Disk Defragmenter

Scan for viruses- It is necessary to to a full system scan atleast once a month and check for updates regulary.

Adjust Display Properties

adjusting the display properties can free up wasted ram.

(on the desktop), right-click and goto "properties", goto "appearance" tab and under "windows and buttons" click "windows classic style".

(still under appearance tab), select "effects", uncheck all except " hide underlined letters....."

choose either no background or a very non graphics intensive.

under "settings" tab select the lowest bit color quality.

Start up

These tweaks will improve startup times.

1.) Start\run\msconfig\startup tab\uncheck all

2.) Download microsoft "bootvis" from micrsoft.com

Spy\adware removal

download adaware 6- or another spware+adware removal program

delete all spyware and adware... scan after you dl something

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    hey mods you think i could get this pinned?

thanks

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Installing many programs on you computer can often clutter your registry with unnecessary programs running when your computer starts up. This will slow down your machine and take up memory.

Start Regedit. (start\run\regedit)
    Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Once there, locate any entry's on the right. You can identify the program by the path to the executable. Find programs that you can live without starting up from the list.
    Right click on them and select Delete
    You may also want to navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
    Delete unnecessary programs.
    Reboot your computer.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Prefetch is a new and very useful technique in Windows XP. However, after using XP some time, the prefetch folder can get full of rarely used or obsolete links which can slow down your computer noticeably. My suggestion is: open C(system drive):/windows/prefetch, delete all files (or at least those more than 3 weeks old), reboot. I recommended that you do this every month.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    You won't get it pinned. This shit is all over the forums. :-"

Did you copy this from somewhere? Mainly Astalavista?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    he took the time to at least try to help, you on the other have contributed nothing with this post in the tips section..........

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by .hack@11 November 2003 - 01:15
    1.) Start\run\msconfig\startup tab\uncheck all
    This is a extremely stupid thing to do...

stop everything from loading on startup means...

Your virus scanner will not start, and hence automatic scanning of downloads and anything else ur scanner does will not be done and this would do more damage than its worth, considering it would probably make ur loading take like 2 seconds shorter...

And this is just your virus scanner now lets say you have a modem like mine if you stop the modem driver from starting up(Which is installed and isnt hidden from the msconfig list) then you would not be able to connect to the internet.

DO NOT DO THIS!!... Unless you know what your doing.(eg. not a newbie)

You said this advice was for a newbie, telling them this could mess up their comp and they wouldnt know how to fix it!!!!

BUT, dont get me wrong the rest of your post is nice information to know for a newbie.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    If you want some tweaks, that will improve your comps speed and customize it to do what u want then go HERE

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by Cotton+11 November 2003 - 08:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cotton @ 11 November 2003 - 08:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-.hack@11 November 2003 - 01:15
    1.) Start&#092;run&#092;msconfig&#092;startup tab&#092;uncheck all
    This is a extremely stupid thing to do...

stop everything from loading on startup means...

Your virus scanner will not start, and hence automatic scanning of downloads and anything else ur scanner does will not be done and this would do more damage than its worth, considering it would probably make ur loading take like 2 seconds shorter...

And this is just your virus scanner now lets say you have a modem like mine if you stop the modem driver from starting up(Which is installed and isnt hidden from the msconfig list) then you would not be able to connect to the internet.

DO NOT DO THIS&#33;&#33;... Unless you know what your doing.(eg. not a newbie)

You said this advice was for a newbie, telling them this could mess up their comp and they wouldnt know how to fix it&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

BUT, dont get me wrong the rest of your post is nice information to know for a newbie. [/b][/quote]
    i only said "uncheck all" because i didnt want to say "uncheck things that you know you dont need at startup"
    because a noob might think he needs everything on that list or something and they are not going to know the difference between things they do need and they dont need.

but ya your right you shouldnt remove virus scanners form startup.
    But i dont know a single person i asked that has a modem driver in there startup.....
    so i didnt even consider that

and once again this post is a list of tips not a list of things that will make your comp run 500% faster and more efficient.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by .hack@12 November 2003 - 12:40
    i only said "uncheck all" because i didnt want to say "uncheck things that you know you dont need at startup"
    because a noob might think he needs everything on that list or something and they are not going to know the difference between things they do need and they dont need.
    and... you expect noobs to know this

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER&#092;Software&#092;Microsoft&#092;Windows&#092;CurrentVersion&#092;Run
    Once there, locate any entry&#39;s on the right. You can identify the program by the path to the executable. Find programs that you can live without starting up from the list.
    Right click on them and select Delete
    -------------------

Here is some advice. Always suggest to backup the registry before you do any changes. Never Play with registry if you dont know what you are doing.

Secondly, yes you shouldn&#39;t uncheck all. See which program you want at the startup and uncheck the one&#39;s you dont. That statement says it all. Just because someone is new to computers doesnt mean they can mess up with their settings. Dont you remember how you first learned? Someone told you or you read it from somewhere? Well then take a step ahead and let people know how it works instead of just stating it.

Anyhow, you did an effort in posting few things and that is appreciated. But these are very common, and mostly everyone knows. (Even all newbies)
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast