Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Favourite Fantasy Authors?

Poster
    Margaret Weis,Tracy Hickman and Richard a. Knaack

2. Lounge   -   #42
    Robert E. Howard-the Conan series

Robert Jordan-The Ihe Eye of the World

Robert E. Feist-The Riftwar Saga

David Eddings-All of his series(Great stories, outstanding characters with laugh-out-loud humor)

Here's a few I haven't seen posted:

Peter Morwood-The Book of Years (Sword & Sorcery)

Robert Adams-The HorseClans series (Militarily accurate post-appocolyptic world where man is reduced to sandal & sword with telepathy and intelligent animals- they have Horseclans and Catclans--preappocolypse genetically altered Praire Cats and horses-->Billy Morguhn of Morguhn [Billy the Axe] is damn near Conan)

Keith Laumer-Damn good books (Sci/fi at it's finest)

Roger Zelazney-The Chronicles of Amber. All his books are incredible, but Amber is my fav.

David Drake-All of his books but the Hammers Slammers series is awsome. (He's a military sci/fi author-his novels are in 'the grit', meaning none of that glory of war crap. My dad, a WW2 vet, said "He tells the story like he was there! The fear, the horrible details.....reminds me of how it really was!" Told from the soldiers perspective)

And last but certainly not least-Anne McCaffrey-All of her books are great, but I am addicted to any Pern novel.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought someone would like to know something about the authors if they never heard of him/her.

Liberal: Lib er al Someone who's mind is so open their brains fell out.
    Real cars don't make horsepower at the front wheels, they lift them.
    Lead, follow or get yer ass run over!

3. Lounge   -   #43
    Amen to Brian Jacques and Anne Rice

Also the Dragonlance books- I can enjoy pretty much any of them, but the Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman ones are spun gold. Fucking fantastic.

Also---- has anyone heard of Mercedes Lackey? She's amazing. Really really rich involved writing. I love it when an author can go into total gory detail....

Poppy Z Brite, as well, but she's hard to find and most likely is more horror than fantasy....

Raymond E Fiest books don't really grab me, but the ones he did with Janny Wurts (Daughter of the Empire, Mistress of the Empire, Servant of the Empire)are really well done.

I don't feel like Terry Pratchett is fantasy, really. I love the stuff, but its not really escapist, which I think the point of fantasy is....you need to pay attention to this day and age to pick up the references. I think its all satire. Stay fantastic though. I love him for the fact he took off Phantom of the Opera

4. Lounge   -   #44
    Phillip Pullman
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Need i explain why?

(I'm just bloody glad that no-one has mentioned that theiving, unoriginal, talentless dog who made those books about a child magician, i darent mention her name in this place! )

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345