Thread: How Can I Move My Webpage To A Better Host?

Poster
    I barely have any HTML Knowledge, and made a webpage that is quite popular, on Geocities's page builder... However, I have a very small amount of allocated bandwith, which sucks... I found someone willing to host my page for free... I've already used SmartFTP to upload all the downloadable files to the new host, which helps, but how do I move the actual webpage to that new host? Or, because it's built with Geocities, it can't be moved?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Out of The Ordinary
    Is there no file manager or something?
    Is it just plain text?

btw moved to softwareworld.

BOT

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    When you say you have uploaded all the downloadable files to the new server, does that mean you have download each and every single file from your geocities and then uploaded to the new host?
    If not then thats what you have to do.

Geocities File Manager

I am just wondering whether they allow you to download the files or not.
    Try filemanager if not then there are other ways. You can capture your own site download all the files and then upload to a new host.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    If you got FTP acsess, then thats probally the best way to do it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Wizzandabe@15 November 2003 - 12:21
    geocities doesn&#39;t allow FTP access anymore. It sucks big time.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Well not including HTML and Pictures, I have downloadable ZIP files on my page which are put up there for download, there are only 3 though, and I&#39;ve uploaded them to the new host and linked from my webpage to download from the host.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by I.am+15 November 2003 - 17:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (I.am @ 15 November 2003 - 17:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Wizzandabe@15 November 2003 - 12:21
    geocities doesn&#39;t allow FTP access anymore. It sucks big time. [/b][/quote]
    Geocities.co.uk does. Well it did, does it still...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I am not sure whether it still does it or not. Yahoo geocities.com doesn&#39;t anymore. They stopper about 6-7 months ago maybe.

@Vamp, there are couple of good softwares out there. You can capture your whole site.
    HTTrack and SuperBot are well known softwares. SuperBot has an option of burning your whole website with the directory structure to a disc. HTTrack is preferable. Once you capture it and save it to your hard drive then you can simply upload via FTP.

Also, how many pages do you have on the website?