Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adsl And Contention.

lynx's Avatar .
    The line rate (512kb/s, 1mb/s etc) is the rate between your pc and the local head end. You don't share that. The contention ratio is the number sharing the link between the local head end and your isp's hub, and they don't tell you what speed that runs at.

The contention rate on my connection is 50:1, but I have never noticed any slowdown, so for the same money you would be better off getting 1mb at 50:1 rather than 512kb at 20:1.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Thanks to you both for replying. I'll probably go for the 512 at 50:1 on Eclipse, as has Lamsey.

Lamsey, why is this package called Connect 500 Lite? Does this only refer to the contention and nothing else? I've looked on the website, and there don't seem to be any difference otherwise, but am i missing something? I'm still not really clear on why there would be two packages, differing only by contention, if contention isn't an issue for the end user.

Spot the difference:-

Originally posted by ADSL Connect 500+ £32 a month--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ADSL Connect 500 &#064; £32 a month)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    512Kbps download
    256Kbps upload
    20:1 maximum contention

Includes email and web[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-ADSL Connect 500 Lite
    @ £20.38 a month

512Kbps download
    256Kbps upload
    50:1 maximum contention

Includes email and web
    [/quote]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12