Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luck

Poster
    Do you know anyone who you would consider to be a lucky person. Things just seem to work out well for them, for no reason.

Or on the other hand, someone who is just plain unlucky, everything just goes wrong.

Do you fit into one of these categories. Or do you even believe that luck exists.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    i think it certainly seems that way, some people seem lucky or unlucky. then there are the "miraculous escapes" where a bullet will deflect off a pocket watch or something crazy and save the person, but i think it's one out of many possible outcomes. in a similar situation someone could have the bullet deflected from a non-fatal area, upwards through the brain, killing them. I suppose those two situations could be considered lucky and unlucky respectively.

My own opinion, things happen randomly, and if the result is one that deviates greatly from the expected, we try to explain by calling it luck, either good or bad when it is just one of the less common random results.

So no, i don't believe in luck, although Celtic are lucky b*stards...

(j/k hehe)

To condradict myself though, my sister gave me a small gemstone before an exam one time "for luck", and i passed when i didn't expect to. I have taken it to every exam since, not because i truly believe that it brings me luck (my results since then would suggest that it certainly doesn't) but because i would never totally discount the existence of luck 100%, and also because it gives me inspiration to try my hardest, for my sister and family etc.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I know it's a cliche but I think we make our own luck...

If you believe something good will happen to you then generally things will go your way, but if your more pessimistic then you will "attract" bad luck.

In my mispent youth I used to play a lot of fruit machines, if I was in a good mood then usually I'd win (or at least break even) if I was down on my chances of winning then I'd usually lose. I know it's a bit deep but I think we affect the world around us in ways we can't possibley comprehend and I think this is what creates "luck."

4. Lounge   -   #4
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    "In my experience there's no such thing as luck"
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

5. Lounge   -   #5
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    While I'm sure I've experienced the bad kind, I'm not so sure about the good.

Other people seem to drown in the bad or float peacefully in the good, with nary a hope (in the first case) nor a care (in the second).

I have seen it with my own eyes.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Ex-member
    I dunno, it's funny... the more I practise at something, the luckier I get

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey@15 November 2003 - 22:19
    I dunno, it's funny... the more I practise at something, the luckier I get
    Gary Player ?

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+15 November 2003 - 21:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 15 November 2003 - 21:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lamsey@15 November 2003 - 22:19
    I dunno, it&#39;s funny... the more I practise at something, the luckier I get
    Gary Player ? [/b][/quote]
    I think it was him who originally said that, yeah.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Lamsey+15 November 2003 - 21:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 15 November 2003 - 21:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@15 November 2003 - 21:20
    <!--QuoteBegin-Lamsey
    @15 November 2003 - 22:19
    I dunno, it&#39;s funny... the more I practise at something, the luckier I get

Gary Player ?
    I think it was him who originally said that, yeah. [/b][/quote]
    If you putt it that way yes. Then again if you putt it another way no.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Poster
    No - I meant are you Gary Player in real life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast