Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Impacts of SOPA on BT

waffler's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Why, thank you

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by waffler View Post
    I've always wondered, wouldn't switching to a DNS server apart from the one assigned by your ISP slow down page load times marginally ? I mean, my isp's DNS seems to work better than openDNS or Google DNS .
    Just because the ping time is lower (your provider's servers are within their own network, no third-party service can beat that) it doesn't mean they're actually faster or better - they could take more time to look up records and actually resolve names, or a small eternity for new entries to propagate. Issues like that are why people turn to these services in the first place

Besides, OpenDNS uses anycast routing, so even if the 208.67.*.* IPs are in the US, they're actually being routed to servers physically much closer to you (easily checkable by comparing traceroute results). Google I don't know, but considering they're Google the giant they probably do it as well.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    waffler's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by waffler View Post
    I've always wondered, wouldn't switching to a DNS server apart from the one assigned by your ISP slow down page load times marginally ? I mean, my isp's DNS seems to work better than openDNS or Google DNS .
    Just because the ping time is lower (your provider's servers are within their own network, no third-party service can beat that) it doesn't mean they're actually faster or better - they could take more time to look up records and actually resolve names, or a small eternity for new entries to propagate. Issues like that are why people turn to these services in the first place
    Yup, this is what I was talking about, thanks for clearing my doubts.
    Besides, OpenDNS uses anycast routing, so even if the 208.67.*.* IPs are in the US, they're actually being routed to servers physically much closer to you (easily checkable by comparing traceroute results). Google I don't know, but considering they're Google the giant they probably do it as well.
    Yup, seems so, a tracert to 8.8.8.8 shows 14 ms. Thank you for the information
    Last edited by waffler; 01-22-2012 at 08:19 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Is there any news that BT would also be attacked by SOPA now since most file host has brought down to knees.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123