Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Serious Question

My gran mother died 1 year ago after a long period of paralysis and brain problems, so I have think a lot about that issue. I don't know for question 2, but for question one, I was thinking that all depends of what you get after your death. Maybe you gonna suffer more once dead. I'm not talking about religion or anything like that.
    Cos you can tell me everything you want, but you don't what happens once dead. I 'm sorry if I sound rude.

But for sure it would be crual to keep someone alive if their is something better "on the other side".

This is just a metaphisical issue

2. Lounge   -   #32
    AussieSheila's Avatar Dazed & Confused
    A good friend of mine died of cancer 3 years ago aged 39. His 11 year old daughter stayed with me when he first started his treatment 800 km's away from home. After he died his little girl said to me "Dad was thrashing around and the nurse gave him a needle and he died."

We told her not to say it in quite that way.

B)

I find it difficult to differentiate between people and pets, I love them all til it hurts, and hate to make the decision with either, but I certainly have with pets (a dog who could no longer walk and had an enormous inoperable tumour, he was 14, and a pony with tetanus). I couldn't see them suffer any more, and I hope I'm not left to suffer some ignoble end either.

When my grandmother was dying, a decision was made to take her off the respirator and see if she could manage on her own. We were told the day before. I remember waking up that day, feeling good for about 1 second and then remembering what they were going to do to my beloved Nan and sinking into the deepest despair, how could I go to the hospital and watch the rock in my life die? As it happened they decided she wouldn't survive it, they left her on and she died naturally the next day.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Poster
    Originally posted by MediaSlayer@15 November 2003 - 23:00
    That's a very, very difficult question. On the one hand, compassion for human life is a factor. On the other, the question arises "are we playing God by doing things like that? Is it right to take away that which you did not create?". Finally the person's wishes must be considered too. Sometimes people make specific request for that very thing to happen or not to happen. I consider myself a survivor, so I guess I would request not to be assisted in that way no matter if I was in pain or not. Anyway, it's a hell of a decision for any person to make. I don't know what I would do.
    That's a tough question J'Pol..But I have to agree with M.S. on this one....
    Having lost my Dad in May, to bone cancer, I know I could not make the decision, and we had him at home, with liquid dilaudid, being administered by the family, and logged. The Doctor in a round about way, let us know that, more was O.K. so to speak. But my brother's and I talked about, what was mentioned by the Doctor.
    In the end,(this may sound greedy) I would rather have spent the last month's, with my father, than to say, "Let's put him out of his missery", even though he was incapacitated. God forbid this should ever happen, to one of my children, because I seriously think, I would die of a broken heart. I know we made the wright decision, so I guess no and no would be my answer.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    AussieSheila's Avatar Dazed & Confused
    Yeah Tim, greedy or not, I wanted more time.

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Poster
    Originally posted by AussieSheila@16 November 2003 - 10:12
      Yeah Tim, greedy or not, I wanted more time.
    For sure hun, lifes to short to begin with, never mind when your Knockin on heaven's door. :'(

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234