Thread: Win Xp Boot Ini

I get this message when I start up my computer saying

"could not locate boot ini."

\and I can't start up my computer. does anyone know where i can find this file so that i can use a boot screen from my floppy drive? Or does anyone know how I can fix this.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Assuming you're using XP/2000, not dual booting, and you have an XP cdrom:

- Start recovery console from XP cdrom.

- Enter command > bootcfg /default

This repairs the boot sector

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I have XP, but it came preloadedd on my HP Laptop, so all I have is the recovery disks that restore my computer to when I first bought it. But i don;t want to use this because I have several important files on my computer.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I don't know what to suggest then mate. The boot.ini is in the root of your c drive and looks like this.

[boot loader]
    timeout=0
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    There might be some way to restore it in dos from a command prompt, but i don't know how. I'll see if i can find something and post back later if noone else already has..

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    since I can't start up my computer, does anyone know how to start sytem restore in a command prompt or DOS.

ie ( C:\ )

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by The King@15 November 2003 - 23:50
    since I can't start up my computer, does anyone know how to start sytem restore in a command prompt or DOS.

ie ( C:\ )
    Go here.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    you have to log on os administrator. I want to start system restore while in the situation that i stated i am in above. thanks though

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by LTJBukem@15 November 2003 - 18:12
    I don't know what to suggest then mate. The boot.ini is in the root of your c drive and looks like this.

[boot loader]
    timeout=0
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    There might be some way to restore it in dos from a command prompt, but i don't know how. I'll see if i can find something and post back later if noone else already has..

whats the boot ini for Home Edition?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    does anyone know of a small size xp boot ini that will fit on a floppy? all the ones i have found are to big

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    A boot.ini file is a very small system text file. Not sure what you've got. You could try copying the text i gave you and changing it to home. Not sure how you might restore your system with it though. Save it in notepad as boot.ini